Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get value back from awk script Post 302226323 by gnsxhj on Monday 18th of August 2008 05:22:43 PM
Old 08-18-2008
well, i dont know if it is what u want :
Code:
echo `echo | awk '{print substr("'"$dir"'","'"$pathlength"'")}'`

or:
Code:
var=`echo | awk '{print substr("'"$dir"'","'"$pathlength"'")}'`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to pass variable from awk to shell back

I am passing a varaible to from Shell to awk then I am doing some maniplation for that variable inside awk. I want that maniplated variable value back to shell , Is this possible .Please let me know. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: unishiva
12 Replies

2. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write shell script to take back up

Helo, I want to write shell script which takes back of all binaries (exe files). and when i uninstall the upgraded system which automatically restore the old binary which we have take as back up. can u tell me how to write such shell scripts. Regards, Amit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script in back ground

I have a script "a" running in background. From script "a" i will kick off script "b" which will also be in background. Is this possible. And actually what i want is, In script "b" when i do ps -ef, script "a" should not be seen. Current "a" script ---- --- ---- nohup b exit current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to back up with rsync

I'm trying to write a script to back up with rsync, the script I am posting below: nomServer="shiva horus isis" dirshiva="/etc /faturamento" shivaListExc="/usr/local/bin/shivaListExclRsync" dumpDir="$dumpFile/Shiva" dateBkp=`date +%A` for nServer in ${nomServer} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajmoreti
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Go back in AWK

Hello! I need to come back one line in awk when i detect a regular expression, i'm working with this: /<POLITIC>/,/<\/POLITIC>/ when i found the line that matches with <\/POLITIC> i need to come back one line, the opposite of getline that takes a new line and continue executing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: claw82
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing a tail in a script and then return back and continue script

Hello all, I am trying to do a tail in a script. But when I quit the tail my script quits also. This is not what I want. I am struggling to get this done. #!/bin/bash askFile() { echo -n "Enter file: " read FILE } doTail() { tail -F "${1}" } askFile doTail... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdark
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use AWK to move matched line back one?

Can somebody help me with this? I'm sure it's a no-brainer if you know awk... but I don't. Input: Blah Blah Me love you long time Blah Blah awk magic with 'long time' ==> Output: Blah Blah Me love you long time (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a script in back ground within a script

Hi friends, i have two scripts(call it bg1.ksh and bg2.ksh) which needs to be run parallely on background from a script(call it test1.ksh).then i have to wait till these two back ground job gets finished. and once it is completed , then i have to trigger one more script(call it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)