Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: returning from a function
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting returning from a function Post 302226252 by jim mcnamara on Monday 18th of August 2008 03:09:00 PM
Old 08-18-2008
Return codes cannot be more than one eight bit byte can represent. Start with 0-127
If you need to return a string or some arbitrarily large number -

Code:
function func {

ret=5543
echo "Return code should be 5543"
echo "$ret"
}

return_value=$( func )
echo "return_value = $return_value"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string returning function

I have two string returning function in ESQL/C char *segment_name(lbuffer) char *lbuffer; {..... and char *get_bpdvalue(f_name) char *f_name; {...... both declared above main() char *get_bpdvalue(); char *segment_name(); my problem is segment_name works on sprintf and strcpy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisc
5 Replies

2. Programming

create a thread from a returning function

hi all, my requirement is to create a thread by calling another function. i.e i dont call pthread_create directly from main, but by calling another function (createThd - below ), from main. Example: void *thread_function(void *arg) { /* thread function */ int i; rc =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

3. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash]Function returning a boolean

Hello all, I would like to know if it is possible to return a the result of a boolean expression from a function like this function() { # some code return || } and what will be the return value ? Thank you for help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dolphin06
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning the name of function used

Hi All In my script, I can call on several functions. I have a logging function that is called by any of these functions. What I would like is some way of identifying which function I am using and pass this to the log function as some parameter. Is there some built in command or way of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
3 Replies

6. Programming

Function Returning Value w/o return stmt

I am working on a C/Unix application from last 2 years which communicates with other systems using proprietary format of my client. We have a function written in C which returns integer, which is response from other system to the request message initiated by my system. This return value is then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpmore
1 Replies

7. Programming

segmentation fault while returning from function.

I am working on the application in which I have to fetch values from the database and paste in url and send it to portal. table=get_result("SELECT serialno,cas,Mode,FLC,TLC,location,CompName,CompCode,FG,FC,DispNo,TruckNo,LWbill,RRGPN,INVNO,DCN,RQTY,DQTY,SQTY,DDATE,RDATE,SDATE,TTIME FROM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er.rohan88
1 Replies

8. Programming

Function Returning Pointer

Hi guys. how a functions such fdopen, ... can return pointer? are these functions use static memory(variables)? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

9. Programming

Function main returning int?

H friends, As we know, a function returns a value and that value is saved somwhere. like int Sum( int x, int y ) { return x + y; } Total = Sum( 10, 20 ); The value 30 is saved in variable Total. Now the question is, what int value does the function main return, and where is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

10. Programming

Malloc function returning NULL

Hi All, I am using malloc function for allocating dynamic memory. When I am using below code on Linux server its working fine, but When I am trying the same code on HP UNIX server its returning NULL. below is a fragment of code in which it is giving problem. tmp = (format_tree... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taher Saifuddin
4 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)