Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab priorities
Operating Systems AIX crontab priorities Post 302226224 by kah00na on Monday 18th of August 2008 01:53:42 PM
Old 08-18-2008
The problem was probably that the script was using relative paths to the $PWD to reference the files being copied. When run from cron, cron's default directory is "/" and I'm guessing the files aren't there. If she were to put a "cd /path/to/files" at the begining of the script, it would probably fix it. A better way to program it would be to use full path names to the files being copied and a full path to the destination.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

Hi I have a shell script which works fine at the command line and does works in crontab also but does not send the output to mail as other scripts do by default. 10 1 * * * /export/home/test/report_script by default should send the output to mail but the script runs OK and the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab

Hai , the working the path and representation of crontab application will differs from flavour to flavour in linux if so will any one plz tell me how it differs . its urgent :confused: Regards Sanju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjustudy
1 Replies

3. Programming

setting thread priorities

hi all: ->could someone tell how 2 set thread priorities in a prg -> also how to create multiple dynamic threads.. help me.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bankpro
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the last crontab

Hi all, can anybody tell how to get the last crontab if it is deleted. is there any way to get the crontab back? or it will it be staored anywhere ? its very urgent, can anybody help for the same? Thanks, Vinay (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
5 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

ionice command to set i/o priorities for domUs

Hi, I have xen on a debian lenny with more then 20 VM. The supermicro server has a raid10 with a good performance, but I have IO issues when one VM is making backup, it affects the performance of the other VMs. I've setup cpus, vcpus, sched-credit between dom0 and domUs as doc recommended, but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx to set priorities

Hi, can we set priority to mails which I have sent using mailx? Is there any options in mailx for that? I am receiving mails on Microsoft Outlook (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP with crontab

I am trying to create a crontab but I keep getting a "bad minute" error. Here is what I am entering: */5****/usr/bin/php/ {path to script} After I exit the editor and save I get the following message: crontab: installing new crontab "/temp/crontab." :-2: bad minute errors in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fcocnews
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

hi, i have to backup a database everyday on a Sun Microsystem. i have been looking around and have found that crontab might be the answer. the list of steps that have to be followed for me to get the database is: 1. on cmd telnet the equipment. 2. put the user name and password. 3. i... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: vashil
20 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)