Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming In what direction should I take computer programming? Post 302225913 by redoubtable on Sunday 17th of August 2008 06:08:52 PM
Old 08-17-2008
Everything is based on programming (one way or another) from your washing machine to the little application you use to list files in a directory (ls). So the actual question is what kind of things you see yourself doing in your future. If you see yourself creating washing machines or programming cell phones go with java, if you want to develop games go with C/C++, if you want to be a system administrator go with perl or python and C, if you want to be a mathematician go with FORTRAN, if you're into robotics go with LISP, etc..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New & could use some direction!

First, I just rebuilt/installed my custom kernel & I don't know how to check if it ran properly (I'm fairly sure it did, but I'm looking for reassurance that it loaded the new kernel file). Second, I'd love to get into programming, scripting, whatever, I want my imagination to be the builder &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LazySpoon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

re-direction

Say I have a single bin directory with Linux and SunOS executables, like this: bin/myprog_lnx bin/myprog_sun Assume these programs read from stdin and write to stdout and, thus, are meant to be run like this: myprog_lnx < filein > fileout My users may log in from a Linux or Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsal
3 Replies

3. Programming

Daemon direction. Or, What do I need to watch for?

Hi, I'm writing my first daemon application. I need to make sure I cover my bases as far as correct procedures, etc... I've tried to do my own legwork by reading as much as I could on daemonizing programs, etc... There are so many different examples, some include this but not that, etc...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
3 Replies

4. Fedora

Need Direction for extra work ?

Hey , I have become pretty normal, using unix and what not and working around FEDORA 9 I was wondering does anyone have any IDEAS or have anything I should try to build or scripts to write , or possibly know any sites where I could practice some things just so I know I am writing them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Producer
2 Replies

5. Programming

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer science.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

6. Web Development

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

How can I learn computer programming languages on my own?

I would love the idea to develop games. How can I teach myself computer programming? What programs or software must I use? I have the new iMac? (5 Replies)
5 Replies

8. Fedora

In need of some direction

Okay, so I'm not a complete newb when it comes to using Unix/Linux. I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now and I've dipped my toes into a few other distros but now I want to get a bit serious. I'm looking at becoming a sysadmin but the trouble is...I have no idea where to start. What I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tamachan87
1 Replies
DM(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						     DM(8)

NAME
dm -- dungeon master SYNOPSIS
ln -s dm game DESCRIPTION
dm is a program used to regulate game playing. dm expects to be invoked with the name of a game that a user wishes to play. This is done by creating symbolic links to dm, in the directory /usr/games for all of the regulated games. The actual binaries for these games should be placed in a ``hidden'' directory, /usr/games/hide, that may only be accessed by the dm program. dm determines if the requested game is available and, if so, runs it. The file /etc/dm.conf controls the conditions under which games may be run. The file /etc/nogames may be used to ``turn off'' game playing. If the file exists, no game playing is allowed; the contents of the file will be displayed to any user requesting a game. FILES
/etc/dm.conf configuration file /etc/nogames turns off game playing /usr/games/hide directory of ``real'' binaries /var/log/games.log game logging file SEE ALSO
dm.conf(5) HISTORY
The dm command appeared in 4.3BSD-Tahoe. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Two issues result from dm running the games setgid ``games''. First, all games that allow users to run UNIX commands should carefully set both the real and effective group ids immediately before executing those commands. Probably more important is that dm never be setgid any- thing but ``games'' so that compromising a game will result only in the user's ability to play games at will. Secondly, games which previ- ously had no reason to run setgid and which accessed user files may have to be modified. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD