Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Crontab spawning multiple at processes Post 302225873 by gstuart on Sunday 17th of August 2008 02:22:29 PM
Old 08-17-2008
Crontab spawning multiple at processes

Hi - I need help. My user crontab is spawning multiple at processes (and multiple mencoder program starts, that exit, then restart, repeatedly), locking up my system.

For example I have this entry in my crontab:

$ sudo crontab -u victoria -e

* * * * * ~/recordings/pvr1
* * * * * ~/recordings/pvr2
[etc.]

where pvr1, pvr2, etc. are executable bash script files, e.g. pvr1 is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
at -f ~/recordings/record_tv_1 12:58 pm Aug 17 2008
exit

As you can see, this calls my mencoder ecording file, record_tv_1:

tuner=/dev/video1 # or, /dev/video1 for the 2nd PVR-150 tuner in my Hauppauge PVR-4500 card
channel=70
duration=01:04:00 # hh:mm:ss
record_directory=/media/sdb1/recordings/UNPROCESED/
# record_directory=/home/victoria/temp/UNPROCESED/
file_name=Dog_Genius

ivtv-tune -c $channel -d $tuner

sleep 1

mencoder pvr:// -tv \
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:input=0:device=$t uner:norm=NTSC:chanlist=us-cable:outfmt=yuy2:adevice=/dev/dsp:audiorate=44100 \
-vf lavcdeint \
-ovc lavc \
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4500:keyint=3 \
-oac mp3lame \
-lameopts br=128:cbr:mode=3 \
-ffourcc divx \
-endpos $duration \
-quiet \
-o $record_directory$file_name"_"`date +%A_%B_%d_%Y_%I:%M_%p`.avi

The problem is that virtually every time the pvr script is called by crontab, it spawns (continuously) multiple/new at command processes (Process Viewer), and also several mencoder processes that continually start, stop, relaunch, that are multiply-present in Process Viewer at any one time. The recordings are all partial files (snips). This had been working properly, until about a month ago (Ubuntu updates, screwing things up?).

I'd appreciate it is someone could explain to me what the problem is. FYI: I am using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS -Hardy Heron.

Thanks, appreciated, Greg :-)

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 06-23-2009 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

spawning multiple processes spread across two files

I want to spawn n child processes but have two different classes..with the foremost one forking/spawning the child process and the latter performing a function w/ the spawned processes. I can do this in one class with an if statement and the simple if((pid=fork())==0) //child process { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: StrengthThaDon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt about multiple processes

Suppose that I am performing some operation on an sql database. Lets say process of Searching and then if a value is found, updating it... Now, when I have some millions of records on which the operation has to be performed... Does it help to spawn multiple processes each executing the same... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning multiple threads in Unix

Hi, I need to spawn mutilpe threads , each invoking a different set of shell scripts, in parallel. What would be the best way to do that. Any sample script would greatly help. I am a novice at Unix so any help is much appreciated. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! imapd is spawning multiple processes, all of a sudden, for no reason!

Hi All, I need some assistance, if possible... Our IMAP server has recently (as of 10:30 GMT today) started spawning multiple processes for no reason! This is causing the mail server's load average to increase continually until the whole machine grinds to a halt. Here is a typical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If user has own crontab, results in accumulation of root CRON processes

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with accumulation of root CRON jobs occuring when I have a user's cron job(s) running. Here is an example of a user's crontab file: */1 * * * * echo "hello" > /dev/nullps aux|grep CRON root 14333 0.0 0.0 91236 2172 ? S ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help ps -e on multiple processes

:)Hi there, I am new to scripting and wanted to see if someone can show me how to grep on multiple processes and send the output to a file in /home/mydir/output. I am aware of ps -ef | grep on 1 process but need help looking up multiple processes, can you use this command ps -elf | grep |pid1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbya
4 Replies

8. AIX

Multiple pconsole processes spawning indefinetly

Good night everyone, I've been trying to make AD authentication work with RBAC and I think I messed my test LPAR up. I've manually modified the /etc/security/user.roles file, adding a role to one of my AD users (who is not defined locally) and then runned setkst. It worked fine, but now I found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janpol
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script executed from Informatica ETL tool is spawning 2 processes for one script

Hi, I am having a shell script which has a while loop as shown below. while do sleep 60 done I am executing this script from Informatica ETL tool command task from where we can execute UNIX commands/scripts. When i do that, i am seeing 2 processes getting started for one script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Script on Solaris spawning 2 processes for one shell script execution

Hi, I am having a shell script on Solaris 10 which has a while loop as shown below. #!/usr/bin/ksh # while do sleep 60 done Name of the shell script is coldcentric.sh. I executed script /DATAWAREHOUSE/LOAD/Scripts/coldcentric.sh from a command task in Informatica worklow as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chekusi
3 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and they are not intended to be edited directly. (Darwin note: Although cron(8) and crontab(5) are officially supported under Darwin, their functionality has been absorbed into launchd(8), which provides a more flexible way of automatically executing commands. See launchctl(1) for more information.) If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file does not exist but the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for com- ments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/usr/lib/cron/cron.allow /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), compat(5), cron(8), launchctl(1) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
December 29, 1993 BSD