Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract .tgz files that only contain a pattern Post 302225759 by percivalwcy on Saturday 16th of August 2008 06:08:33 PM
Old 08-16-2008
Extract .tgz files that only contain a pattern

Let's say I've got File.tgz that contains:-

Apple.txt
Banana.txt
Carrot.txt
AppleBanana.txt

Now, I would like to only extract files that contain the patter "Apple".

I've tried this

tar -xvf File.tgz 'tar -tf File.tgz | grep 'Apple''

but it does not work. Please help. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .tgz files

hi all How to unzip .tgz files waiting for suggestions Praful (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create individual tgz files from a set of files

Hello I have a ton of files in a directory of the format app.log.2008-04-04 I'd like to run a command that would archive each of these files as app.log.2008-04-04.tgz I tried a few combinations of find with xargs etc but no luck. Thanks Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file.tgz.1of2 & file.tgz.2of2

Hi all, Need help. Anybody seen this kind of file before? file.tgz.1of2 file.tgz.2of2 how to extract this tgz file? Any help? Tq (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeedwolf
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to grep/read a file inside compressed tgz without extract?

Hi all, I would like to ask whether in Unix shell/perl have any functions or command to allow grep/cat/read a file inside compressed .tgz without extract it? I know we can tar tvf a compressed tgz but this only allow we read the path/filename contained inside the tarball. If we want to read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayshy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move files to existing .tgz file?

Hi, I have already created the tar files. which consist of some log files and Audit.csv plz see the below code for that ================================================ tar -Pczf ARCH/${arc_date}.tgz $LOG/*.log $REYE/CEP/FiAdapter/Audit.${arc_date}.csv ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files

Hey, I have number of .tgz files and want to extract the file with the ending *results.txt from each one. I have tried for file in *.tgz; do tar --wildcards -zxf $file *results.txt; doneas well as list=$(ls *.tgz) for i in $list; do tar --wildcards -zxvf $i *.results.txt; done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from files based on file pattern

I want to extract dates from the files and i have different types of files with pattern. I have list file with the patterns and want to date extract based on it in a sh script Files in the directory : file1_20160101.txt file2_20160101_abc.txt filexyz20160101.txt list file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)