Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming compilation parameters, code optimization Post 302225397 by jim mcnamara on Friday 15th of August 2008 09:48:04 AM
Old 08-15-2008
spirtle gave you geat advice - usually 90% of bottlenecks are caused by algorithm choice. Some others unavoidable...

Do you know how to profile code?
compile
Code:
g++ -g -p mycode.cpp -o test

Run the code, then try
Code:
gprof test

This will show the time spent in each function - so you can locate the botteleneck.
Read the info page or man page for gprof.

By the way - it appears like you are compiling C code with a c++ compiler? Is that the case? If so, use gcc, not g++

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on optimization of the script

Hi, I have prepared script which is taking more time to process. find below script and help me with fast optimized script:- cat name.txt | while read line do name=$(echo $line| awk '{print $8}') MatchRecord=$(grep $name abc.txt | grep -v grep ) echo "$line | $MatchRecord" | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aju_kup
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX 64 compilation causing some code to seg fault

Hello everyone, Today we are attempting to port some legacy C code to a 64 HP-UX machine at my company and there is kind of a strange error we ran into. there is a small function they have defined called zgetenv that accepts a char* and basically just does some null checking and returns ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khadesh
0 Replies

3. Programming

Re : Pass parameters from Cron job to Java code

Hello All, Hope all is fine. I am newbie to Unix. I am using Bourne Shell (sh). One of the question I have is that I am trying to read XML file and based on reading that XML file I want to run same java programs at different hours. When I run the Java code, I wanted to pass parameters to my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samshaw
1 Replies

4. Programming

Program exited with code 01: does it indicate unsuccessful compilation?

(gdb) r --------------------- enter Breakpoint 1, 0x0000000000409d40 in main () (gdb) n Single stepping until exit from function main, which has no line number information. Find_Cmd_Option: found option no. 2: seed (s) Find_Cmd_Option: found option no. 5: dfile (c) Initial no. div... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdbug
1 Replies

5. Programming

Compilation error when compiling Pro*C code

I'm running a query similar to the one that I'm describing below -: _______________________________ EXEC SQL INSERT INTO TABLE1 ( C1 ,C2 ,C3 ,C4 ) (SELECT DISTINCT B.V1 ,B.V2 ,( SELECT D.V3 FROM TABLE2 D WHERE D.V3 = C.V4) ,B.V4 FROM TABLE2 B ,TABLE3 C WHERE B.V3 = C.V4) ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maheshp
1 Replies

6. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script passing parameters to sqlplus code

Hello All, I am interested in finding out a way to pass parameters that are entered at the prompt from HP unix and passed to SQLPlus code with a Shell Script. Is this possible? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compprog11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Source code compilation

Need assistance in Source code compilation . When installing a software compiling a source code . Whatever the output that prints on the screen i want to log it into a file. How can i see output and store the output to file ./configure make make install Is there other way of seeing output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code optimization

Hi all I wrote below code: #!/bin/sh R='\033 do you have any idea how to optimize my code ? (to make it shorter eg.) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
11 Replies
FAUCC(1)																  FAUCC(1)

NAME
faucc - C compiler generating Intel code for 16 bit/32 bit CPUs. SYNOPSIS
faucc [ -B path ] [ -D MACRO [=def]] [ -E ] [ -I path ] [ -L path ] [ -MD ] [-MF file ] [ -MP ] [ -MT target ] [ -O level ] [ -S ] [ -T script ] [ -U macro ] [ -Wl,arg ] [ -Xlinker arg ] [ -b arch ] [ -c ] [ -f arg ] [ -m arch ] [ -nostdlib ] [ -o output ] [ -print-lib-faucc-file-name ] [ --freestanding ] [ --no-stack-protector ] { file ...} DESCRIPTION
faucc is a C compiler, that can generate Intel 16 bit or 32 bit Code. OPTIONS
faucc tries to mimic the options of gcc. A number of options will be passed to the C preprocessor cpp or to the linker (done via a call to the c-compiler gcc) in unmodified form. -B path Override the directory prefix where cc1 is looked up with path. -D MACRO, -D MACRO=def Define MACRO with the optional initial definition def. If def is omitted, it defaults to 1. -E Only perform preprocessing, but do not run the compiler. -I path Add path to the include path in which header files are searched. -L path Add path to the library search path, in which the linker will look for libraries. -MD Output dependency information while preprocessing. -MF, file Output dependency information while preprocessing to file. -MP, When the preprocessor should output dependency information, it will generate PHONY targets for each dependency. -MT target When the preprocessor should output dependency information, use target as the dependency rule target. -O level Currently ignored. -S Output assembly code. -T script Use script as linker script. -U macro Undefine a previously defined macro. -Wl,arg, -Xlinker arg Pass arg to the linker. -b arch Generate code for arch (either i286 or i386) -c Perform compilation, but do not link. -f arg Pass code generation argument arg to the compiler. See the cc1 man page for possible arguments. -m arch Currently ignored. -nostdlib With this option, the linker will only search for libraries that are passed as command line arguments. -o file Write output to file. -print-libfaucc-file-name Print the full path of the internal compiler library libfaucc.a. -static Perform static linking. --freestanding, --no-stack-protector Currently ignored. EXAMPLES
faucc -c hello-world.c -o hello-world.o Compile the program hello-world.c and output the object as hello-wolrd.o. faucc -S -b i286 -o test.s test.c Compile the program test.c to 16 bit code and output the assembly listing to test.s, but do not assemble or link the result yet. SEE ALSO
cc1(1) , cpp(1) , gcc(1) , ld(1) CONTACT
Please report all bugs to FAUcc Team <info@faumachine.org>. FAUcc Homepage [1]. AUTHOR
FAUcc Team COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 FAUcc Team. Developed at Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg. FAUcc comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. FAUcc is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. See COPYING for details. NOTES
1. FAUcc Homepage http://www.faumachine.org FAUcc Team 03/08/2009 FAUCC(1)