Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Programming languages polyglots: how many languages you know? Post 302225327 by spirtle on Friday 15th of August 2008 06:43:31 AM
Old 08-15-2008
I have mainly used C and C++, but before that it was Fortran, including various proprietary versions for HPC from Cray and CM. Perhaps the most obscure langauge I used back then was another HPC-specific one called Tao, which had some fun features like being able to define (not just overload) your own operators and syntax. I have also programmed in some assembly langauges which gives you a rather different perspective on things (goto not considered harmful!).

I used to do a lot of Perl and bash and csh and a bit of Python, but not so much now. I dabbled with Ruby too, just out of curiousity. I've never had to write Java, but I ocasionally have to read it.

I think that while it would be unusual to ask specifically for an awk programmer, having reasonable knowledge of a variety of such tools will make you more efficient in your work.

I agree with era that Emacs Lisp is enjoyable, but I haven't done any in ages; I have probably forgotten it all now.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Shell scripting & programming languages

If I want to do high-end 3d animation, what skell scripting languages, and programming languages shoul I learn? If you know any good resources for learning these languages they would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Operating System and Programming languages

I'm trying to create an operating system. Just as a small hobby, it will not be anything big I am trying to get some practice. Does anyone reccomend a certain programming language because I dont know which one to use. Any help please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacx2
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Programming/Scripting Languages To Learn

Which languages would, in the long run, be best to learn on a UNIX environment for kernel work, every day programs, and overall UNIX programming? I've been learning C for over a year now (which I'm pretty confident with) and decided I want to look into some other languages. I'll mainly be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjinr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

output in different languages

hello, i have to change a lot of shell scripts for one reason : the output in a script should be done in different languages. for example: echo "this is a test" and "this is a test" should be printed out in language for an example: german,italian and so. i saw a tool "gettext" ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and languages

Hi everyone, First of all, i dont know what id do without this forum its been such a great help:) so a big thankyou to all, anyway i have a simple question, if i wrote a scrpt in english would it work on another machine with a different language, or do i have to put something in the script to say... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to export/link Control_m with another programming languages

Hello All. Everyday at work I have to fill a big .xls spreadsheet with process chains start and end time information. The thing is that it takes too long and a lot of boring work. :( I was wondering if I could link this with a tool in java that would export this information into a .xls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pingosa
1 Replies

7. Web Development

What Web Development languages should i learn?

I am learning Web Development, so far i am learning html,xhtml, css, java script.... What I want to know is what other Web Development languages should i learn? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How can I learn computer programming languages on my own?

I would love the idea to develop games. How can I teach myself computer programming? What programs or software must I use? I have the new iMac? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
5 Replies
REDET(1)							   User Commands							  REDET(1)

NAME
redet - regular expression development and execution tool SYNOPSIS
redet <options> [<input file>] DESCRIPTION
redet allows the user to construct regular expressions and test them against input data by executing any of a variety of search programs, editors, and programming languages that make use of regular expressions. When a suitable regular expression has been constructed it may be saved to a file. Redet currently supports over fifty different programs and regular expression libraries. These include multiple versions of grep, several editors (Ed, Emacs, Sed, Vim), all the popular scripting languages (Awk, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl) and some less popular ones (Lua, Pike, Rebol), most shells (Bash, Ksh, Tcsh, Zsh) and various other languages, including Guile, Icon and Java. For each program, a palette showing the available regular expression syntax is provided. Selections from the palette may be copied to the regular expression window with a mouse click. Users may add their own definitions to the palette via their initialization file. Redet also keeps a list of the regular expressions executed, from which entries may be copied back into the regular expression under construction. The history list is saved to a file and restored on startup, so it persists across sessions. Redet provides both regular expression matching and substitution so long as the underlying program does. Although Redet is primarily an interface for other programs, it adds some features of its own. It is possible to define named character classes within Redet and to intersect them. This allows provides a means of searching on feature matrices. So long as the underlying program supports Unicode, redet allows UTF-8 Unicode in both test data and regular expressions. Several tools provide additional support for Unicode use. These include popup lists of Unicode ranges and general character properties, a widget for entering characters by their numerical code, and widgets for entering International Phonetic Alphabet characters, widgets for entering let- ters with a variety of accents and other diacritics. Although internal operations are entirely in Unicode, test data, comparison data, and results may be read and written in any encoding supported by Tcl/Tk. Redet is fully internationalized. If a suitable message catalogue is provided, the interface may be made available in any language and writing system supported by Unicode for which the necessary fonts are available. For usage information, execute redet with the command line flag -h. Full information about redet is available from the reference manual, which consists of a set of web pages. The master copy is located at: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wjposer/RedetManual/Manual.html. The entry Illustrated Web Manual on the Help menu will take you to the master manual page. The manual pages are packaged with every copy of Redet. OPTIONS
-c <file name> read character class definitions from the named file -d set the debug flag. This causes additional information to be printed during program execution. It is mostly useful for developers. -F <filename> read a feature list from <filename> -f act as a filter. This means that input is read from the standard input and output written to the standard output. -H do not read the history file -h print this help information -I <file> read <file> as the initialization file -i do not read the initialization file -n do not execute feature tests on startup -P list the programs supported and indicate which are available -p <program> use the named program -s start up in substitution mode -t show the results of feature tests -v print the program name and version, then exit SEE ALSO
awk (1), ed (1),grep (1), perl (1), sed (1) AUTHOR
Bill Poser (billposer@alum.mit.edu) LICENSE
GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), version 2. redet May 2007 REDET(1)