Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to monitor tmp folder for uploads Post 302225221 by mrfr0g on Thursday 14th of August 2008 10:52:33 PM
Old 08-14-2008
Shell script to monitor tmp folder for uploads

Hello,

We have been having some issues with our users overwriting files, and then not having a backup. What I would love to do, is create a shell script to monitor /tmp, for uploads, and make a copy of the file they are trying to upload before the upload finishes.

Is this possible at all?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

monitor daily file uploads

hey all, i am a shell scripting n00b so bear with me. i got a server that every night uploads one file to a remote server. the file is prodserver_date_time. i would like to make a script, run by root on a daily cron job. i want it to determine if the file was received or not. no md5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jweinraub
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script partitions space monitor

Hello friends, I'm newbie in shell scripting... Until now i have this script: #!/bin/sh emailok = email1@domain.com emailissue = email2@domain.com limit="50" df -h | grep -vE '^Filesystem' | awk '{print $1 " " $4 " " $5}'|while read val do partition=$(echo $val | awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_doe
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to monitor a folder using script

hi, i want to monitor a particuler folder and have to report is there any new file added to the dir or not? can anyone tell me how to monitor the folder using script. the script has to run in the background continiously. Is there any way to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to monitor folder and upload found files via FTP

Hi everyone! I'm in a need of a shell script that search for all files in a folder, move all those files to a temp folder, and upload those files via FTP. When the file transfer via FTP completes successfully, the file is moved to a completed folder. In case any of those files fails, the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulsorock
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor a command inside shell script

Hi All, Is there any way to monitor a command inside shell script ? I have a script inside which I have a tar command which zips around 200GB data. tar zcvf $Bckp_Dir/$Box-BaseBackup-$Day.tar.gz * --exclude 'dbserver_logs/*' --exclude postmaster.pid --exclude 'pg_xlog/*' I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sussus2326
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Large crout files created in /tmp folder

Hello All, We are having a archiving script which runs every monday. When ever the script runs it creates crout* files in /tmp folder. This file appends till /tmp become 100% full. We are facing this problem now very frequently. We caanot delete this files,we have to kill the script. when we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Upendra Bhushan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus inside shell script writing to tmp file

Hi, facing an issue while calling sqlplus inside shell script. It for some reason goes to tmp file to write something and i get error as permission denied as i dont have access there. ANy idea why sqlplus writes in /tmp and how to change or stop this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushikeshs
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the GB files in /tmp directory in remote server

Hi, i need help on shell scripting. Main intention of the script is step 1: ssh to remote server Step 2: cd /tmp in remote server Step 3: in tmp i want to grep only files and directories which are in GB sizes All the servers list file is - tmpsrv.txt vi tmpsrv.txt ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
17 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need shell script to monitor files

Hi Experts, I am not good in writing script. Just stared. I am looking for shell script to check following parameters. 1) Number of files on remote Linux SUSE server.- Any directory and sub directory. 2) I should define number of files in script. Files should be variable. 3) Age of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApmPerfMonitor
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD