Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to test for scripts running Post 302225013 by runnerpaul on Thursday 14th of August 2008 10:26:48 AM
Old 08-14-2008
Cheers. Im looking into that.
At the min im writing my grep to output to a tmp file. I can get this working but includes my actual grep in the output too. I know -v is used to hide the grep but not sure how it should look in a script. Heres what I got:

Code:
ps -efa | grep chk > /var/tmp/Paul/scripts/tmp

I have tried:

Code:
`ps -efa | grep chk -v > /var/tmp/Paul/scripts/tmp`

and:

Code:
`ps -efa | grep chk | grep -v 'grep '` > /var/tmp/Paul/scripts/tmp

Both created an empty tmp file.

Got any suggestions?

By the way, thanks for all the help so far.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to Test Application Server is running

Hi, I'm a complete novice at Unix and need to create a script that does the following... checks to see if an application server is running. If the app is running then print 'Available' Else print 'Unavaliable' exit from scriopt I have no idea where to start. I'd be very grateful... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: duglover
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running SQL Scripts from Shell script - Need insight!

I've a script that fetches various values from the database as below: #! /bin/ksh $conn="user/pwd@service_name" `sqlplus -s << $conn EOF1 @xyz.sql @pqr.sql @abc.sql EOF1` The output of the script should generate txt files containing the results from queries which are further... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
6 Replies

3. Linux

running test

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am running a test command and if the user is not found you have to type exit and it wiil exit. Ok I did that. But if the user is found it is supposed to finger them. But my problem is it makes you type exit first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts via su

Hi All, Am using the below command to start my application using the root user su - bin -c "/home/bin/test/start.sh" but am getting the error becaue i have set some environment varibales in bin .profile when i execute the command start.sh by logging directly into bin account it's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sri24
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

6. Programming

running PLSQL scripts through shell script

I am running the following ealth checks on my server there are two databases in my server . MODEL1 and MODEL2 i connect with the first database as sqlplus model1/password Then i exceute a query select x from table (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
4 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Test if Oracle listener is running

Hi All , I am new to shall scripting, i want write an script for oracle tns and listener. If tns working i want o/p as "Listener and TNS are working" else o/p should be ""Listener and TNS are not Working" below is the command in unix to check the tns status, if no output it means TNS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul bari
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script / Test if script is already running

Hello everyone, I have 2 questions : 1) I have a backup shell script, let's call it backup.sh, that is called every hour as a cron job. As a matter of fact a backup could last more than one hour. It mounts a NAS and then do some rsync on important directories, so really I don't want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Script to manage background scripts (running, finished, exit code)

Heyas, Since this question (similar) occur every now and then, and given the fact i was thinking about it just recently (1-2 weeks) anyway, i started to write something :p The last point for motivation was... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running test command in ssh

I tried to run the following commands in my shell script. This command works fine for me: ssh -n "${username}"@"${hostname}" "grep WARNING ${serverhome}/${serverlog} | wc -l" The result is: 1548 However when i try to run a similar one: ssh -n "${username}"@"${hostname}" "test `grep -q... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hys1117
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)