Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fetch lines from a file matching column2 of another file Post 302224781 by smriti_shridhar on Thursday 14th of August 2008 02:41:25 AM
Old 08-14-2008
Thanks! Yogesh

There is no space between column1 and 2 of the output

abc-23Gal Glu house-2-be
cde-42cat mouse
dge-91sirf surf-2-beta
gre-45cat mouse
fgr-76Gal Glu house-2-be

I need a tab between column1 and 2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines in file matching a pattern

I have a text file, a sample of which is as follows: r/- * 0: WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/ASP.NETWebAdminFiles/Images/headerGRADIENT_Tall.gif r/- * 0: WINDOWS/SoftwareDistribution/Download/cf8ec753e88561d2ddb53e183dc05c3e/backoff.jpg r/- * 0: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print file without few exactly matching lines?

Hi I have a very long file with 4 columns of numbers for example 1875 1876 12725 12723 13785 13786 4232 4230 13184 13185 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines matching value(s) in other file using awk

Hi, I have two comma separated files. I would like to see field 1 value of File1 exact match in field 2 of File2. If the value matches, then it should print matched lines from File2. I have achieved the results using cut, paste and egrep -f but I would like to use awk as it is efficient way and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SBC
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding lines matching the Pattern and their previous lines in a file

Hi, I am trying to locate the occurences of certain pattern like 'Possible network disconnect' in a text file. I can get the actual lines matching the pttern using: grep -w 'Possible network disconnect' file_name. But I am more interested in getting the timing of these events which are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print matching lines in a file

Hello everyone, I have a little script below: die "Usage infile outfile reGex" if @ARGV != 3; ($regex) = @ARGV; open(F,$ARGV) or die "Can't open"; open(FOUT,"+>$ARGV") or die "Can't open"; while (<F>) { print FOUT if /$regex/.../$regex/; } No matter what I give $regex on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new bie
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND matching pattern of lines in a file

I need to search for two patterns in a file and find number of matching lines. find . -type f | xargs grep "DROP TABLE" | wc -l find . -type f | xargs grep "DROP SYNONYM" | wc -l The above code works. However I am looking at finding a commnd that will simplify as on a singe command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substraction of matching lines from a file.

I have 2 files: file1.txt contains /html/mybook/Charts/143712/reptiles.pdf /html/mybook/Charts/198459/spices.pdf /html/mybook/Charts/198459/fresh_nuts.pdf /html/mybook/Charts/123457/dome_anim.pdf /html/mybook/Charts/123457/vegetables.pdf /html/content/3DInteractive/174091/CSPSGGB.html ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jojan Paul
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine matching lines in file

I am trying to combine all matching lines in the tab-delimited using awk. The below runs but no output results. Thank you :). input chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 47433390 47433999 SYN1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to average matching lines in file

The awk below executes and is close (producing the first 4 columns in desired). However, when I add the sum of $7, I get nothing returned. Basically, I am trying to combine all the matching $4 in f1 and output them with the average of $7 in each match. Thank you :). f1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 							   User Commands							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - join lines of two files on a common field SYNOPSIS
join [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
For each pair of input lines with identical join fields, write a line to standard output. The default join field is the first, delimited by whitespace. When FILE1 or FILE2 (not both) is -, read standard input. -a FILENUM print unpairable lines coming from file FILENUM, where FILENUM is 1 or 2, corresponding to FILE1 or FILE2 -e EMPTY replace missing input fields with EMPTY -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing fields -j FIELD equivalent to `-1 FIELD -2 FIELD' -o FORMAT obey FORMAT while constructing output line -t CHAR use CHAR as input and output field separator -v FILENUM like -a FILENUM, but suppress joined output lines -1 FIELD join on this FIELD of file 1 -2 FIELD join on this FIELD of file 2 --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Unless -t CHAR is given, leading blanks separate fields and are ignored, else fields are separated by CHAR. Any FIELD is a field number counted from 1. FORMAT is one or more comma or blank separated specifications, each being `FILENUM.FIELD' or `0'. Default FORMAT outputs the join field, the remaining fields from FILE1, the remaining fields from FILE2, all separated by CHAR. Important: FILE1 and FILE2 must be sorted on the join fields. E.g., use `sort -k 1b,1' if `join' has no options. If the input is not sorted and some lines cannot be joined, a warning message will be given. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Haertel. REPORTING BUGS
Report join bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for join is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and join programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'join invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 JOIN(1)