Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete files recursively in the specified directory Post 302224728 by tagro82 on Wednesday 13th of August 2008 10:03:10 PM
Old 08-13-2008
Java Use ls -R and then test whether it is a file

Algo
1) ls -r >> data file
2) counter =1
3) Now read line by line in while loop-- while ($ counter < no of lines in file)
if (test -f sed -n ${counter}p)
{ remove the file rm -f sed -n ${counter}p}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files older than 5 minutes in directory (recursively)

sorry guys can some please give me a hint how to achieve this in a slick oneliner? delete files older than 5 minutes in specified directory (recursively) peace (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files Recursively *thumbs*.jpg

Greetings, I need to delete all files that contain the word thumbs. Those files are spread all throughout sub-directories in a file directory tree. Is there a script or single line command that will find all files with the word thumbs, and simply delete the file? For example: Delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ..Chris..
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script generating files in directory recursively

I have a script which generates recursively some files in folders for a given root folder. I have checks for permissions and it works for all folders except one(i have 777 permission on it). When i try calling the script in problematic folder(problematic folder being root folder), script works as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46 Any ideas how can we do this? :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakerock
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46Any ideas how can we do this? Got a sun cluser global mount point which takes ages to mount everytime, need to understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first.

I want to recursively cat the content of files in a directory e.g. find /etc -type f -exec cat {} \; But I want it to print the file name first and then the content. For example let's say /etc/statetab and /etc/colord.conf will be printed first then I want the output to look something like; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively copy directory only for recent files?

I love the -newerct flag for the Cygwin find command on windows. Can I use "/usr/bin/find . -newerct '3 hours ago'" to conditionally copy a directory tree so that only the files in the directory tree that are younger than 3 hours are copied to my destination directory such that the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Large Files Recursively From Specific Directory

Hi. I found many scripts in the web of achieving this. But I like to use this one find /EDWH-DMT03 -xdev -size +10000 -exec ls -la {} \;|sort -n -k 5 > LARGE.rst But the problem is, why it still list out files with 89 bytes as the output? Is there anything wrong with the command? My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files recursively to one single directory

I need to copy a complete directory structure into a new location. But I want to have all files copied into one directory and leave out the directory structure. So all files must be placed in one directory. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReneVL
4 Replies