Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers group & user permission question Post 302224698 by redoubtable on Wednesday 13th of August 2008 06:55:53 PM
Old 08-13-2008
Be aware that the users will still be allowed on world writable directories (such as /tmp). Otherwise, you will got to stick with mcnamara's opinion on chroot(). Still, I must say chroot() is awfully easy to bypass without the proper kernel limitations (grsecurity).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory & group in UNIX question

folks; I'm going to use LDAP on Solaris 10 to authenticate users, i have 3 questions, i'm hoping it can be possible: 1. when users login for the first time, Is there a way to auto create a home directory like "/home/"user_name" so we don't have to a create a home directory for every single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user & group read/write access question

folks; I created a new users on my SUSE box and i need to give this user/group a read write access to one specific folder. here's the details: - I created new user "funny" under group "users". - I need to give this user "funny" a read/write access to another directory that is owned by "root".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied, but user is owner and has group ownership too

Folks, I have a problem with a particular file, that seems to have some kind of lock on it, that takes around 1 hour approx to timeout. I have used lsof and nothing has an open file handle on it, yet I cannot open it. My user/group owns the file and I can create edit/delete files in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottrus
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special group & user privileges

Special group and user privileges help I'm having some trouble understanding the group and user privileges. So let's say I make a group.. and assign some users to the groups that I made. How would I -- 1) Allow different groups and different users to have full privileges over a file with .X... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set only some command & scripts permission to a particular user

hi, i am new in unix.......i am using bash and i want to create a user which has only some command and scripts permission.........is it possible? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New To UNIX - Need Script to create report of user & group accounts

Hi, I'm new to the world of UNIX and have been asked to create a complex script (at least complex to me:confused:) for AIX UNIX to create a report of all the users on the server including server, user, UID, groups, GID, etc. Found a script using lsuser, but the output is still lacking. 2 things I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panthur
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

9. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies
CHROOT(1)							   User Commands							 CHROOT(1)

NAME
chroot - run command or interactive shell with special root directory SYNOPSIS
chroot NEWROOT [COMMAND [ARG]...] chroot OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND with root directory set to NEWROOT. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If no command is given, run ``${SHELL} -i'' (default: /bin/sh). AUTHOR
Written by Roland McGrath. REPORTING BUGS
Report chroot bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
chroot(2) The full documentation for chroot is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and chroot programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'chroot invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 CHROOT(1)