Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers group & user permission question Post 302224667 by broli on Wednesday 13th of August 2008 04:01:49 PM
Old 08-13-2008
cerate a dir.
change the group to the group you created. make the proper mode changes (rwx)
is not hard. you just need to calm down, and , if it helps, lay down some concept schematics on a paper

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory & group in UNIX question

folks; I'm going to use LDAP on Solaris 10 to authenticate users, i have 3 questions, i'm hoping it can be possible: 1. when users login for the first time, Is there a way to auto create a home directory like "/home/"user_name" so we don't have to a create a home directory for every single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user & group read/write access question

folks; I created a new users on my SUSE box and i need to give this user/group a read write access to one specific folder. here's the details: - I created new user "funny" under group "users". - I need to give this user "funny" a read/write access to another directory that is owned by "root".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied, but user is owner and has group ownership too

Folks, I have a problem with a particular file, that seems to have some kind of lock on it, that takes around 1 hour approx to timeout. I have used lsof and nothing has an open file handle on it, yet I cannot open it. My user/group owns the file and I can create edit/delete files in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottrus
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special group & user privileges

Special group and user privileges help I'm having some trouble understanding the group and user privileges. So let's say I make a group.. and assign some users to the groups that I made. How would I -- 1) Allow different groups and different users to have full privileges over a file with .X... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set only some command & scripts permission to a particular user

hi, i am new in unix.......i am using bash and i want to create a user which has only some command and scripts permission.........is it possible? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New To UNIX - Need Script to create report of user & group accounts

Hi, I'm new to the world of UNIX and have been asked to create a complex script (at least complex to me:confused:) for AIX UNIX to create a report of all the users on the server including server, user, UID, groups, GID, etc. Found a script using lsuser, but the output is still lacking. 2 things I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panthur
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

9. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)