Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting serach and replace a specific pattern or value in a xml file Post 302224569 by Vi-Curious on Wednesday 13th of August 2008 12:21:29 PM
Old 08-13-2008
I don't believe you need to escape the <.

So, in your example, try something like
Code:

s/>${curVersion}</>${new_Version}</g

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach and replace file name in the path in a remote xml file

hi every one , here is my problem !! i have to run my script from an account and update the result in a xml file located on a different account. i use existing ssh keys to do it remotely for example the tags looks like this <PropertyValueList... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranreddy1215
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern Matching - serach and replace script

My requirement is to replace a a particular pattren in a script from A to B. I am not sure if this can be done through sed command or through awk . The file sv.inc is window DialogBox AddConnection tag "~ActiveApp/Add Connection - Provider Type?URL" I would wnat the file to be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serach a pattern

Hi, I am trying to find a particular patter in multiple UNIX files (also contain system files,hidden files and normal files) i am now using CMD: egrep -ali 'pattern' * i am not getting the required result, i just need files path and finename Naveen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mutli line pattern search & replace in a xml file

Hello guys, I need your help for a specific sed command that would search for a multi line pattern and if found, would replace it by another multi line pattern. For instance, here is the input: <RefNickName>abcd</RefNickName> <NickName>efgh</NickName> <Customize> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xciteddd
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column that matches specific pattern, with column data from another file

Can anyone please help with this? I have 2 files as given below. If 2nd column of file1 has pattern foo1@a, find the matching 1st column in file2 & replace 2nd column of file1 with file2's value. file1 abc_1 foo1@a .... abc_1 soo2@a ... def_2 soo2@a .... def_2 foo1@a ........ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashali
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Serach pattern in one field and replace in another

Hi all, I have a TAB separated file like this: sample.rpt: 54 67 common/bin/my/home {{bla bla bla}} {bla bla} Replace Me 89 75 bad/rainy/day/out {{ some bla} } {some bla} Dontreplace Me ...... ...... I wish to do a regexp match on the 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newboy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to replace a pattern on specific line in a data file

Hi, I want to replace specific pattern "-2.0000 2" by "1.0000 3" on a particular line (line #5) in a file 1.dat. I have about 50 more files similar to 1.dat in which I want to do this correction. Can you please suggest how can I make change only at this particular line of a file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuj06
6 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)