Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create incrementing counter Post 302224406 by khaos83_2000 on Wednesday 13th of August 2008 05:13:33 AM
Old 08-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by palsevlohit_123
#!/bin/bash
counter=1
counter=`expr $counter + 1`
echo $counter
nope, does not work
result
Code:
1+1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing a for loop

I have, LIST="a b c d e" for word in $LIST do echo $word done would give me a b c d e With the first iteration of the for loop, I get "a" as the result. Is it possible that I get both "a" and "b" in only the first iteration. In the next iteration I get "c" and "d" and so on.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

No. post not incrementing

Hi Admin, i just noticed that when I do postings, the number does not increment. eg : Post A -Total Posts 312 Post B - Total Posts 312 Post C - Total Posts 313 Post D - Total Posts 313 Why is this so? Can you kindly check this out? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing in while loop

echo "Enter Starting id:" echo "" read rvst_strt_idxx echo "" echo "Enter Closing id:" echo "" read rvst_clsn_idxx FIELD1=$rvst_strt_idxx FIELD2="USER" FIELD3="TEST" FIELD4="12345" FIELD5="00000" echo "" echo "INSERT INTO TABLE( FIELD1, FIELD2, FIELD3, FIELD4, ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
7 Replies

4. Programming

incrementing variables in C++

Hello, what is the result of the below, and how does it work? int i = 5; cout << i++ * ++i << endl; cout << i << endl; (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing with a twist - please help

I'm currently trying to write a ksh or csh script that would change the name of a file found in directories and attach to the name an incrementing three digit number. I know how to write a script that will go: 000, 001, 002, 003, etc The twist is I need more increments then allowed by a 3... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rust
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing variable in for

Hi, want to increment a variable in a for loop like this: for (( c=$total-1; c>=0; c-- )) do if ; then maximo=$valores fi done But it gives the error: No such file or directory How can i do this only incrementing the c variable? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing ascii values

Hi All, I require some help with the below: I am trying to incriment the ascii value of a letter and then print it. So basically "a" becomes "b" and "z" becomes "A". Does anyone have any pointers? Cheers, Parks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bParks
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing the date depending on the Counter (parameter) passed to the script

Hello Everyone, I have been trying to complete a shell script where, I need to increment the date depending on the file (depending on the date) availability on the remote server. i.e. Basically, I will be passing a counter (like parameter 1 or 2 or 3 or 4). First I will check for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filter
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing number in bash

I have the following code and getting the error ./raytrac.bash: line 231: ((: 0++: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "+") iarg = 0 iarg=0 narg=$# # Number of arguments passed. echo "narg = $narg" argsArr=("$@") # Set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with incrementing the date

I have a date variable like 2012-12-31 ( YYYY -MM -DD ) in flat file and it has to be incremtented by 1 every time i run the script Example : i tried the below script after data modifcation but this does not seem to work expr `20121231 +%Y%m%d` + 1 Note : Mine is not a GNU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
4 Replies
I386_PMC_INFO(2)					   BSD/i386 System Calls Manual 					  I386_PMC_INFO(2)

NAME
i386_pmc_info, i386_pmc_startstop, i386_pmc_read -- interface to CPU performance counters LIBRARY
i386 Architecture Library (libi386, -li386) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <machine/sysarch.h> #include <machine/specialreg.h> int i386_pmc_info(struct i386_pmc_info_args *ia); int i386_pmc_startstop(struct i386_pmc_startstop_args *ssa); int i386_pmc_read(struct i386_pmc_read_args *ra); DESCRIPTION
These functions provide an interface to the CPU performance counters on the 586-class and 686-class processors. i386_pmc_info() will return information about the available CPU counters. The information is returned in ia having the following structure: struct i386_pmc_info_args { int type; int flags; }; The type member describes the class of performance counters available. Valid values are: PMC_TYPE_NONE No PMC support PMC_TYPE_I586 586-class CPUs PMC_TYPE_I686 686-class Intel CPUs PMC_TYPE_K7 686-class AMD CPUs The flags member describes additional capabilities of the processor. Valid values are: PMC_INFO_HASTSC CPU has time-stamp counter i386_pmc_startstop() is used to start and stop the measurement of the CPU performance counters. The argument ssa has the following struc- ture: struct i386_pmc_startstop_args { int counter; uint64_t val; uint8_t event; uint8_t unit; uint8_t compare; uint8_t flags; }; The counter specified by the member counter is started if the member flags has PMC_SETUP_KERNEL or PMC_SETUP_USER set, otherwise the counter is stopped. The initial value of the counter is set to val. Additional values for the flags member are PMC_SETUP_EDGE and PMC_SETUP_INV. The event member specifies some event written to the control register. The unit member specifies the measurement units. The compare member is a mask for the counter. i386_pmc_read() will return information about a specific CPU counter measured during the last measurement period determined by the calling of i386_pmc_startstop(). The information is returned in ra having the following structure: struct i386_pmc_read_args { int counter; uint64_t val; uint64_t time; }; The counter to read should be specified by the counter member. Counters are numbered from 0 to PMC_NCOUNTERS. The value of the counter is returned in the val member. The time since epoch, measured in CPU clock cycles, is returned in the time member. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion zero is returned, otherwise -1 is returned on failure. BSD
November 10, 2001 BSD