Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris svcadm fails to enable nfs/server Post 302224318 by Vi-Curious on Tuesday 12th of August 2008 11:18:42 PM
Old 08-13-2008
svcadm fails to enable nfs/server

When trying to enable nfs/server, I keep getting this message that another entity has disabled the service but I cannot find where the problem is.

Code:
hostname:> svcadm -v enable -s svc:/network/nfs/server
svc:/network/nfs/server:default enabled.
svcadm: Instance "svc:/network/nfs/server:default" has been disabled by another entity.

svcs doesn't really tell me anything about what the problem is. In fact, svcs says that it is disabled by an administrator.

Code:
hostname:> svcs -xv nfs/server
svc:/network/nfs/server:default (NFS server)
 State: disabled since Tue Aug 12 19:59:12 2008
Reason: Disabled by an administrator.
   See: Sun Message ID: SMF-8000-05
   See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M nfsd
Impact: This service is not running.

Checking the log doesn't give me anything to go on either.

Code:

hostname:> cat /var/svc/log/network-nfs-server\:default.log | tail -10
[ Aug 12 13:16:45 Enabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:16:49 Disabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:17:37 Enabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:17:43 Disabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:21:42 Enabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:21:46 Disabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:24:30 Enabled. ]
[ Aug 12 13:24:34 Disabled. ]
[ Aug 12 19:59:01 Enabled. ]
[ Aug 12 19:59:12 Disabled. ]

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out why this svc keeps getting disabled?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 - FTP server -enable

Hi, I have turn off the FTP service and rebooted the server . (edit /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/inet/services) Now , how can I enable back the FTP without rebooting the server . Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civic2005
1 Replies

2. Solaris

NFS write failed for server.....error 11 (RPC: Server can't decode arguments)

Hello! I have a Linux nfs server (called server100 below) with a export nfs. My problem is that the Solaris client (called client100 below) doesn't seems to like it. In the Solaris syslog I got following messages (and after a while the solaris client behave liked its hanged/to buzy). Also see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sap4ever
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 as a nfs client -- centos as a nfs server.

Hello, I have a centos as nfs server, its name is centos_A. After I finish the setup of the nfs server, the other linux can access this nfs server immediately via /net/centos_A/* But, My solaris 9 can not access /net/centos_A/* immediately. I have to leave /net/centos_A, and wait for about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruceharbin
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

[UBUNTU] mount.nfs fails in Ubuntu / Works on Red Hat!!!

Gurus, I want log in locally to my Lucid (10.04) workstation and have my code saved over the network on my samba account At work, all developers have samba user ids and when we were running Red Hat, we went thru the following procedure to get setup. * open a shell session to NFS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

5. SCO

enable ssh server on SCO 5.0.6

hi How to enable ssh server on SCO unix 5.0.6 and allow remote root login? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

6. AIX

Enable large filesize option in NFS mount in AIX 4.3

Hi All, I have a NFS mount filesystem, however it is not supporting a creation of filesize greater than 2 GB in it, how can i enable the option (bf = true) in it. The AIX version is 4.3.2 Thanks in Advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

enable all operations to use a proxy server , redhat server

Hi, i would like to enable all operations/connections to use a proxy server in a redhat server , witch file should i config to get this for all conections .... Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
0 Replies

8. AIX

AIX NFS Server and NFS Client

Hi 2 ALL, try to run NFS Server in AIX 7.1 : 1. Step by step on NFS Server node mkdir /tmp/test chgrp staff /tmp/test chmod 775 /tmp/test-- create export directory (fs) mknfsexp -d /tmp/test -t ro exportfs -va show mount -e :/# exportfs -av exports: 1831-187 re-exported /tmp/test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
4 Replies
nfsmapid(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      nfsmapid(1M)

NAME
nfsmapid - NFS user and group id mapping daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nfs/nfsmapid DESCRIPTION
The nfsmapid daemon maps to and from NFS version 4 owner and owner_group identification attributes and local UID and GID numbers used by both the NFS version 4 client and server. nfsmapid uses the passwd and group entries in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to direct how it performs the mappings. The nfsmapid daemon has no external, customer-accessible interfaces. You can, however, administratively configure nfsmapid in one of the following ways: o Specify the NFSMAPID_DOMAIN parameter in nfs(4) o Specify the _nfsv4idmapdomain DNS resource record. Please refer to the System Administration Guide: Network Services for further details. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), automountd(1M), mount_nfs(1M), svcadm(1M), share_nfs(1M), nfs(4), attributes(5), smf(5) System Administration Guide: Network Services NOTES
The nfsmapid service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/nfs/mapid Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. If it is disabled, it will be enabled by mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), and automountd(1M), unless its application/auto_enable prop- erty is set to false. This daemon might not exist in a future release of Solaris. SunOS 5.10 18 Nov 2004 nfsmapid(1M)