Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Trying to config eth0 - Ubuntu Post 302224157 by jroberson on Tuesday 12th of August 2008 10:33:02 AM
Old 08-12-2008
Trying to config eth0 - Ubuntu

Greetings,
I have installed a Ubuntu server and attempting put a static IP address on interface ETH0. I edited the /etc/network/interfaces with the following:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.203.270
gateway 192.168.203.1
netwask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255

Following, I restarting the interfaces by the following commands:
/etc/init.d/networking restart

... and got the following error message: Failed to bring up eth0. I used the ifconfig eth0 up command with no success.

I attempted to ping interface eth0 with no success.

Please help anyone.

Thanks
Jay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Adding an IP to eth0

Hi there guys! I have a small task that I have to accomplish, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I have a server that I don't have physical access to, and I mostly control it with webmin. The server is running 2 websites. Both of these websites have their own domains that are linked to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I find which one is eth0?

Hi, Just installed Centos 5.1 on HP DL360, on this system I have to close to ten nic's. How can I find which one is eth0? When I do " ifconfig -a" I see all of them, but I can't tell which is eth0? Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu / Ubuntu File Manager / Config

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2.28. I use the default Nautilus File Manager to view / manage files. Is there a way to add icons or customize the icons that are above the location bar and below the menus? There is a bar that has icons for "Back" "Forward" "Parent" above the location bar. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Device eth0 issue

Hi, I have just installed RHEL 5.4 on a BL430c-class server and I am attempting to connect to the network only when I try and start eth0, I get the following error? "Bringing up Interface eth0: hp device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization." I am using a HP... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
18 Replies

7. Red Hat

VMBox not Recognizing eth0 on RH.

Hello, I re-installed my laptop and installed a new copy of VMBOX, I created a VM Machine with my Rhel5 and a CEntos copy as well. I am using a laptop HP DV4, I use wireless on the laptop. Usually when I boot up in to either machine I would get eht0 and lo as usual now I just don't get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. Red Hat

Apache virtual host config vs global config problem

Hi folks, I am trying to configure Apache webserver and also a virtual host inside this webserver. For Global server config: /var/www/html/index.html For virtual host config: /var/www/virtual/index.html Both client10 & www10 are pointing to 192.168.122.10 IP address. BUT, MY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freebird8z
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables On for eth0 and off for other interfaces

Hi all, I am running a CentOS 6.4 box as an IDS and I need to configure one interface as the management interface which will require a firewall. However other ports (in promisc mode without IP) will have to be configured such that IPtables allows all traffic. I need to achieve this by editing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies
pbuilder-uml.conf(5)						     pbuilder						      pbuilder-uml.conf(5)

NAME
pbuilder-uml.conf - configuration file for user-mode-linux port of pbuilder DESCRIPTION
/etc/pbuilder/pbuilder-uml.conf contains default values used in pbuilder-user-mode-linux program invocation. FORMAT
MY_ETH0=tuntap,,,192.168.0.2 Configures ethernet setting used for booting linux. See how rootstrap boots your system, and copy that. Specify --eth0=slirp,12345,/usr/bin/slirp-fullbolt to use the slirp connection. UML_IP=192.168.0.3 IP address to use for guest OS. This can be set to dhcp for obtaining IP address through DHCP. UML_NETMASK=255.255.255.0 Guest OS netmask UML_NETWORK=192.168.0.0 Guest OS network UML_BROADCAST=255.255.255.255 Guest OS broadcast UML_GATEWAY=192.168.0.1 Guest OS gateway PBUILDER_UML_IMAGE=${HOME}/uml-image Guest OS file system image. UML_MOUNT_TMPFS=no Whether to mount tmpfs inside the guest image. This is probably mostly useless. BUILDPLACE=${HOME}/tmp/ The location which build will take place. pbuilder-user-mode-linux will place temporary COW files to there. The user running UML needs to be able to access that directory. UML_MEM=128 The amount of memory allowed for UML. Give more value to here. UML_HOSTNAME=uml-host The hostname for the UML. The hostname should be available in /etc/hosts so that hostname -f will be able to return the FQDN. UML_BUILDRESULT=/directory/of/build/result The directory where build result of pbuilder-user-mode-linux is stored. ROOTSTRAP_IMAGESIZE=size-in-megabytes The size, in MB, of the disk iamge to create. Defaults to 1000. NOTES
It is advised to set APTCACHEHARDLINK to no in ~/.pbuilderrc. see pbuilderrc(5) for details. AUTHOR
Initial coding, and main maintenance is done by Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>. The homepage is available at http://pbuilder.alioth.debian.org FILES
/etc/pbuilder/pbuilder-uml.conf, ${HOME}/.pbuilderrc SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/pbuilder/pbuilder-doc.html, pbuilder-user-mode-linux(1), pbuilder(8), pbuilderrc(5), pdebuild(1) Debian 2003 Jan 8 pbuilder-uml.conf(5)