Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Passing by value a char array Post 302224075 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 12th of August 2008 07:27:51 AM
Old 08-12-2008
Another approach is to copy the string to temporary storage in the function.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

char array problem

hello i have a program in C (Unix - SOlaris5.7), and i have the next question: i have a lot of char variable, and i want store their values in a char array. The problem is what i donīt know how to put the char variable's value into the array, and i don`t know how to define the array please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
4 Replies

2. Programming

char array

hi, I have variable like, char keyword = "TRANSPARENCY "; while passing this variable to some function, first character of variable becomes null, but rest of characters still exist. Why this happens or something wrong with declaration. Their is no error while compiling & running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avadhani
2 Replies

3. Programming

size of char array in c

i have to store a data more than 100000. i don't know the size of the data whether it may be 100000 or 1000000. so how can i define variable size; example char abc; but i don't know the size so how can i give array size?? in one sentence how can i give the array size dynamically so that i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
6 Replies

4. Programming

Array of char

I'm doing some coding in C++ Want to have a long empty string like below const char ModMisfit :: DelStr = "\r \r"; However due to the long blank the line is very long. Is there any way to avoid this and keep the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

5. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. Programming

How to find length of string and pass into char array in C?

Hi All I want to take a Hexadecimal number as input and i want to find lenth of the input and pass it to char s ( char s ). I have a program to convert hexadecial to binary but it is taking limited input but i want to return binary number based on input. How? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
1 Replies

7. Programming

char array

cat int.c int main() { unsigned char wwn; wwn=50; wwn=00; wwn=53; wwn=30; wwn=08; wwn=09; wwn=82; wwn=17; printf("WWN: %02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x\n ", wwn, wwn, wwn, wwn, wwn,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: powyama
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I test the first char of each line in an array

Hi folks, I am self-learning as I can I have a script that has read a file into an array. I can read out each line in the array with the code: for INDEX in {0..$LENGTH} ## $LENGTH was determined at the read in do echo "${data}" done What I need to do is test the first char... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
2 Replies

9. Programming

Returning char array

I want to return a char array to the main() function, but its returning garbage value. #include<stdio.h> //#include<conio.h> #include<string.h> char* strtrmm(); int main() { char str1,c1; printf("\n Enter the string:"); gets(str1); //strtrmm(str1); printf("%s",strtrmm(str1));... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
2 Replies
stdarg(5)							File Formats Manual							 stdarg(5)

NAME
stdarg.h - macros for handling variable argument lists SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The header contains a set of macros that can be used to write portable procedures that accept variable argument lists. Routines that have variable argument lists (such as but do not use stdarg are inherently nonportable, because different machines use different argument-pass- ing conventions. is a type defined for the variable used to traverse the list. is called to initialize pvar to the beginning of the list. The type of argN should be the same as the argument to the function just before the variable portion of the argument list. returns the next argument in the list pointed to by pvar. type is the type the argument is expected to be. Different types can be mixed, but it is up to the routine to know what type of argument is expected, because it cannot be determined at runtime. is used to clean up. Multiple traversals, each bracketed by ... are possible. NOTE: The header file supercedes the header, and contains all of the macros. is provided for compatibility with pre-ANSI compilers and earlier releases of HP C/HP-UX. EXAMPLE
This example is a possible implementation of (see exec(2)): #include <stdarg.h> #define MAXARGS 100 /* execl is called by execl(file, arg1, arg2, ..., (char *)0); */ execl(const char *file, const char *args, ...) { va_list ap; char *array[MAXARGS]; int argno = 0; va_start(ap, args); if ((array[0] = args) != 0) while ((array[argno++] = va_arg(ap, char *)) != 0) ; va_end(ap); return execv(file, array); } WARNINGS
It is up to the calling routine to specify how many arguments there are, since it is not always possible to determine this from the stack frame. For example, is passed a zero pointer to signal the end of the list, and can tell how many arguments are there by the format string. Unless ANSI C is used, it is non-portable to specify a second argument of char, short, or float to va_arg, because arguments seen by the called function are never char, short, or float. Pre-ANSI C converts char and short arguments to int and converts float arguments to double before passing them to a function. SEE ALSO
exec(2), vprintf(3S), varargs(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
stdarg(5)