Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Debian Help
Operating Systems Linux Debian Debian Help Post 302223913 by Bradj47 on Monday 11th of August 2008 06:03:27 PM
Old 08-11-2008
That won't fit on a floppy. Could I write that to CD?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

debian help

ok -- i've got the main install done, but when it goes to set up apt, i can't get to an http or ftp server to get the packages. seems my dns isn't working. problem is -- i have no way, or at least don't know a way, to get into any sort of gui, in which i think i could get it going myself. i'm stuck... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aenemated
1 Replies

2. Debian

Networking in Debian

I've recently installed the Sarge version of Debian Linux and have run into a problem with it's networking abilities. I access the internet by cable modem, connected to a linksys broadband router. The router is set up to allow full access to this computer. When I run dhclient from Debian, it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Losie
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for debian OS

Hi All, I am unable to find the command for knowing the RAM size on debian os. Also i am unable to use the command shutdown on command line. it asks for the following options: cloud9:~# shutdown Usage: shutdown time -a: use /etc/shutdown.allow ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Debian becomes slow!

Hi all, I've a debian 4 etch machine which runs on a HP Proliant G5 server. My server became too slow yesterday. I restarted the it and also try to run in Run Level 1 but nothing changed. This is the status of my debian box: top - 12:33:11 up 34 min, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.21... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
2 Replies

5. Debian

Can't see anything after debian loads

Hey, I recently installed Debian on a desktop PC but when it starts I can't see anything (the monitor say no signal). I don't have any idea or even a way to figure out what going on here since I can't see anything at all not even the console. Is there something that I missed in the install, or is... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: neur0n
22 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vnc4server on debian

Hello, Lately installed vnc4server on debian, however it listens only to ipv6, how is it possible to force vnc4server to listen both ipv4 and ipv6 ? the cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only returns 0 debian stable 6.0.1 thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hachik
2 Replies

7. Debian

Debian SPARC

Hello, Anyone already tried to install Debian Sparc in a Sun V880 ?! I'm trying to and after I boot it with the CDROM the system starts to boot up and I don't see any errors message but it freezes after it detects the USB ports (There is nothing attached to it and I don't use it). Here is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxb368@motorola
8 Replies

8. Debian

Can't Login to Debian 8.1

I installed Debian 8.1:cool: with Xubuntu as dual boot :D... During installation of Debian 8.1 i skipped user account creation :confused: ...now i can't login to Debian 8.1 :(:eek: ..help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zorion10
1 Replies

9. Debian

Need to upgrade Debian 7.8 to Debian 8.5 (Not 8.5)

Hello, I need to upgrade my Debian system 7.8 to 8.5 but by default via apt-get It moves to 8.6 version(latest stable version). I'm new to Debian so didn't figure out the solution. I've checked few suggestions over internet like editing apt source list file using snapshot archive. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies
FDWRITE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						FDWRITE(1)

NAME
fdwrite -- format and write floppy disks SYNOPSIS
fdwrite [-v] [-y] [-f inputfile] [-d device] DESCRIPTION
The fdwrite utility formats and writes one and more floppy disks. Any floppy disk device capable of formatting can be used. The fdwrite utility will ask the user (on /dev/tty) to insert a new floppy and press return. The device will then be opened, and queried for its parameters, then each track will be formatted, written with data from the inputfile, read back and compared. When the floppy disk is filled, the process is repeated, with the next disk. This continues until the program is interrupted or EOF is encountered on the inputfile. The options are as follows: -v Toggle verbosity on stdout. Default is ``on''. After device is opened first time the format will be printed. During operation progress will be reported with the number of tracks remaining on the current floppy disk, and the letters I, Z, F, W, R and C, which indicates completion of Input, Zero-fill, Format Write, Read and Compare of current track respec- tively. -y Do not ask for presence of a floppy disk in the drive. This non-interactive flag is useful for shell scripts. -f inputfile Input file to read. If none is given, stdin is assumed. -d device The name of the floppy device to write to. Default is /dev/fd0. The fdwrite utility actually closes the device while it waits for the user to press return, it is thus quite possible to use the drive for other purposes at this time and later resume writing with the next floppy. The parameters returned from device are used for formatting. If custom formatting is needed, please use fdformat(1) instead. EXAMPLES
The fdwrite utility was planned as a tool to make life easier when writing a set of floppies, one such use could be to write a tar-archive: tar cf -. | gzip -9 | fdwrite -d /dev/fd0.1720 -v The main difference from using tar(1)'s multivolume facility is of course the formatting of the floppies, which here is done on the fly, thus reducing the amount of work for the floppy-jockey. SEE ALSO
fdformat(1) HISTORY
The fdwrite utility was written while waiting for ``make world'' to complete. Some of the code was taken from fdformat(1). AUTHORS
The program has been contributed by Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Diagnostics are less than complete at present. If a floppy is sick, and the inputfile is seekable, it should ask the user to frisbee the disk, insert another, and rewind to the right spot and continue. This concept could be extended to cover non-seekable input also by employing a temporary file. An option (defaulting to zero) should allow the user to ask for retries in case of failure. At present a suitable tool for reading back a multivolume set of floppies is missing. Programs like tar(1) for instance, will do the job, if the data has not been compressed. One can always trust dd(1) to help out in this situation of course. BSD
September 16, 1993 BSD