Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Recreating a deleted hardlink to a file if I know the inode number Post 302223892 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 11th of August 2008 05:02:19 PM
Old 08-11-2008
Yoicks! Probably a little bit extreme for what I need (as I can recover the data from the proc filesystem's filehandle list). Good point about the cross-filesystem thing, that explains why ln isn't going to play ball.

What I guess I'm really looking for is a way to take an inode number (something that still has at least one link to it) and create a 'file' (aka directory entry) on the same filesystem that links to it.

fsdb sounds like something to take a look at, but it also sounds like a great way for me to really fubar a filesystem. Methinks I'll play with it on a lab server Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Creating a hardlink to a file

I'm trying to relink a file someone tried to delete while a process (that we don't want to shutdown) also had a filehandle open to it. Consequently, we've got an inode entry but no directory entry (aka 'file') for it. I've tracked the inode number down via lsof, as well as the particular... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of Inode on a disk

How we can know number of inode present in my Disk including free and occupied. Is there any tool or program to know how much free inode are there in inode free list . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Recreating .xml file in /etc/zones

Folks, just wondering if there is a way to recreate this file if inadvertantly removed ?? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevagreene
8 Replies

5. AIX

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number?

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number. i can use the command "istat" to get the inode number of the file. # istat /proc//fd/x If this file has been deleted,but the process of this file has not been closed and handle has not been released ,so this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file without changing inode number

Hi all, I am struggling to change the content of a file without changing the inode number. The exact issue is as below. I have a file name test.bak which has 100 lines of text. I am trying to to delete the first 90 lines of the text in the file. I know that using sed/awk/head/tail I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishkmrv
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file abc.log in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file get changes every time i update the file using vi editor. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never gets changed? Or if we cannot restrict from inode number getting changed , is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Retreive deleted file name if you having inode number

Some one please help me to find deleted file name, if I am having inode number in Solaris without using any 3rd party tool. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing inode value of a hardlink

is it possible to change the inode value/ file path of a hard link? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
2 Replies

10. Linux

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file a.txt in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file changes every time i update the file using vi editor , gedit etc. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never changes as that is supposed to be the expected behavior? Or if we cannot... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirammanohar
13 Replies
RPLAY(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RPLAY(1)

NAME
rplay - play, pause, continue, and stop sounds SYNOPSIS
rplay [options] [sound ...] DESCRIPTION
rplay is client that communicates with rplayd to play, pause, continue, and stop sounds using both the RPLAY and RPTP protocols. Sound files can be played by rplayd directly if available on the local system or sounds can be sent over the network using UDP or TCP/IP. rplay will attempt to determine whether or not the server has the sound before using the network. OPTIONS
-b BYTES, --buffer-size=BYTES Use of a buffer size of BYTES when playing sounds using RPTP flows. The default is 8K. -c, --continue Continue sounds. -n N, --count=N Number of times to play the sound, default = 1. -N N, --list-count=N Number of times to play all the sounds, default = 1. --list-name=NAME Name this list NAME. rplayd appends sounds with the same NAME into the same sound list -- it plays them sequentially. --help Display helpful information. -h HOST, --host=HOST, --hosts=HOST Specify the rplay host, default = localhost. -i INFO, --info=INFO Audio information for a sound file. This option is intended to be used when sounds are read from standard input. INFO must be of the form: `format,sample-rate,bits,channels,byte-order,offset' Examples: ulaw,8000,8,1,big-endian,0 gsm,8000 Shorthand info is provided for Sun's audio devices using the following options: --info-amd, --info-dbri, --info-cs4231. There's also: --info-ulaw and --info-gsm. -p, --pause Pause sounds. --port=PORT Use PORT instead of the default RPLAY/UDP or RPTP/TCP port. -P N, --priority=N Play sounds at priority N (0 <= N <= 255), default = 0. -r, --random Randomly choose one of the given sounds. --reset Tell the server to reset itself. --rplay, --RPLAY Force the use of the RPLAY protocol. The default protocol to be used is determined by checking whether or not the server has local access to the specified sounds. RPLAY is used when sounds are accessible, otherwise RPTP and possibly flows are used. RPLAY will also be used when sound accessibility cannot be determined. --rptp, --RPTP Force the use of the RPTP protocol. See `--rplay' for more information about protocols. -R N, --sample-rate=N Play sounds at sample rate N, default = 0. -s, --stop Stop sounds. --version Print the rplay version and exit. -v N, --volume=N Play sounds at volume N (0 <= N <= 255), default = 127. SEE ALSO
rplayd(8), rptp(1) 6/29/98 RPLAY(1)