Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat What would cause high kernel/system utilisation Post 302223756 by azurty on Monday 11th of August 2008 10:01:16 AM
Old 08-11-2008
What would cause high kernel/system utilisation

We have a VM running RedHat that seems to have very high system (kernel) utilisation compared to our physical servers running the same OS and workload that show normal system time utilisation.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High kernel usage using sleep

Hi I have a lot of scripts running on a Sun Solaris server, which are constantly running in a loop looking for work to do. When they have no work they sleep for a certain amount of time (60secs normally). I have 13 of these scripts running the number of sleep command issued can be in the order... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

3. Linux

High Mem & Cpu Utilisation

Hi All, Kindly help me in optimizing the server as it displays a great amount of CPU & MEM being utilised when the mysql process executes. Below are the stats --- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- # top 15:51:57 up 23:22, 5 users, load average:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gautamatul82
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

bandwidth utilisation high after implementing firewall

hi, we have one unix server which sends multicast packets in the network, recently we have implemented firewall in between unix server and clients.After implementing firewall we found our lease line utilisation has been increased dramatically. Is this because of firewall or else...please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extremely high kernel CPU Usage (Solaris 10 SPARC)

I've got a domain running on a few boards of a 25k. I'm seeing very high kernel cpu usage in top and cant' quite explain it. System runs a large number of smallish Oracle 10g2 databases (30), used mainly for development. load average: 36.63, 36.68, 37.42 2489 processes: 2452 sleeping, 21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: utopiajoe
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel/ user space and high/ low mem

Need some clarification on this.... 1. how are kernel/ user spaces and high/low memory related? 2. What do they all mean when i have the kernel command line as: "console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 rw mem=exactmap memmap=1M@0 memmap=96M@1M irqpoll" or 2. what do mem and memmap mean in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel usage is high

Hi all, I have a solaris box, and I would like to know if anyone has commands to check kernel usage's. Scenario: solaris box is having cpu 100 % issue. . I have used sar -u 10 5 it shows 35 % kernel usage. If you can guide with some docs that would be good.. waiting for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

10. Linux

Reason/components behind high memory utilisation on linux

Hi friends, Problem: High memory utilisation of one linux server, due to which a database crashed on the server. My question to all: How does glance calculate that memory utilisation on the linux server is 98%. I mean what components are part of (31.4gb-599mb)? How can i check that myself? Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
3 Replies
mk_kernel(1M)															     mk_kernel(1M)

NAME
mk_kernel - load a kernel configuration from a system file SYNOPSIS
path_name] system_file] DESCRIPTION
reads configuration information from the system file (see system(4)) and applies those changes to a kernel configuration (see kconfig(5)). performs a function similar to that of but has some semantic differences in order to preserve compatibility with previous releases. will build a new kernel executable only if needed to effect the requested changes. may reuse existing kernel executables when possible. Options recognizes the following options. Specify the target kernel path. If the target kernel path specified is changes are applied to the currently running kernel configuration. They will take effect immediately if possible; otherwise, they will take effect at next boot. If the target kernel path specified is of the form changes are applied to the saved kernel configuration named config. The changes will not take effect at next boot unless that saved kernel configuration was already marked for use at next boot. If the target kernel name is a single word containing no slashes, that name is used as the name of a saved kernel configuration. The changes are applied to that saved kernel configuration. The changes will not take effect at next boot unless that saved ker- nel configuration was already marked for use at next boot. If the target kernel path is not one of the forms specified above, then exits with an error. Other locations for kernel exe- cutable files are no longer supported. If the option is not specified, the changes are applied to the kernel configuration called The changes will not take effect at next boot unless that kernel configuration was already marked for use at next boot. Specify the HP-UX system description file. If this option is not specified, the system file is used. For details see system(4). Verbose mode. (Has no effect; retained for backward compatibility.) RETURN VALUE
returns 0 upon normal completion; it returns 1 if an error occurred. DIAGNOSTICS
Messages and warnings are sent to Messages from and other commands are displayed when invoked from Errors cause to halt immediately; warn- ings allow the program to continue. EXAMPLES
Uses the default HP-UX system description file The changes are applied to the currently running kernel configuration, marked to take effect at next boot. Uses the system description file Uses the system description file The changes are applied to the saved kernel configuration called WARNINGS
Do not manually modify the contents of the kernel configuration directories. FILES
Default HP-UX system description file SEE ALSO
kconfig(1M), system(4), kconfig(5). mk_kernel(1M)