Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users insufficient available memory Post 302223719 by zaxxon on Monday 11th of August 2008 08:31:38 AM
Old 08-11-2008
There is an AIX subforum here btw.

From the vmstat your machine has a lot of CPU traffic, but no memory problem, it seems. Nothing in the pi column (so no paging in from paging space), but tons of runnable threads in the kthr (r) column, more than you have CPUs in your box.

For the memory error of the application you might have to check out in which way the error message is meant ie. follow error code description etc.

Since it is 4 real CPUs you might try to change it to 8 logical CPUs, if this is an DLPAR.

Paging Space info can be obtained by:
Code:
lsps -a

But as said, if there is traffic using it and slowing down your box, pi in vmstat would have some number >0.

Has the box been tuned before?

Maybe there are ulimits that don't grant enough memory.

You can check this in /etc/security/limits or by using "ulimit -a" as the specific application user on the box.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-11-2008 at 09:39 AM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Insufficient permissions on ftp'ed files from WIN2K to HP-UX

We have an application running on Win2K and this application ftp files to HP-UX using ftpdc as user id. The files are created in HP-UX with following permissions: -rw-r----- 1 ftpdc users 968321 Apr 12 22:57 aaaa.txt There is a job that runs on HP-UX trying to modify this file using the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamika
7 Replies

2. Solaris

insufficient metadevice database replicas ERROR

First I would like to thank this forum for assisting me in setting up my 1st sunbox. Could not have done it if it had not been for you guys and google :D I have mirrored my box and have SUCCESSFULLY tested booting from the rootdisk and rootmirror successfully. I am now looking at configuring... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with insufficient swap or memory space

Hi, When I execute one of my shellscript I am getting the below mentioned error message .This application takes 2input files which have the records counts 26463 and 1178046 exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2):... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue with insufficient swap or memory space

Hi, When I execute one of my shellscript I am getting the below mentioned error message .This application takes 2input files which have the records counts 26463 and 1178046 exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap or memory available. exec(2): insufficient swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

5. Solaris

zfs raidz2 - insufficient replicas

I lost my system volume in a power outage, but fortunately I had a dual boot and I could boot into an older opensolaris version and my raidz2 7 drive pool was still fine. I even scrubbed it, no errors. However, the older os has some smb problems so I wanted to upgrade to opensolaris11. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs error: insufficient space for argument

I'm trying to crudely hack my way through some data processing. I have file.txt with around 17,000 lines like this: ACYPI002690-PA.aa.afa.afa.trim_phyml_tree_fullnames_fullhomolog.txt 3 72 71 ACYPI002690-PA.aa.afa.afa.trim_phyml_tree_fullnames_fullhomolog.txt 97 111 71... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies
SWAPON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff, swapctl -- specify devices for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapoff [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapctl [-AghklmsU] [-a file ... | -d file ...] DESCRIPTION
The swapon, swapoff and swapctl utilities are used to control swap devices in the system. At boot time all swap entries in /etc/fstab are added automatically when the system goes multi-user. Swap devices use a fixed interleave; the maximum number of devices is unlimited. There is no priority mechanism. The swapon utility adds the specified swap devices to the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be added, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be added as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is added. The swapoff utility removes the specified swap devices from the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be removed, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be removed as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is removed. Note that swapoff will fail and refuse to remove a swap device if there is insufficient VM (memory + remaining swap devices) to run the system. The swapoff utility must move swapped pages out of the device being removed which could lead to high system loads for a period of time, depending on how much data has been swapped out to that device. Other options supported by both swapon and swapoff are as follows: -F fstab Specify the fstab file to use. The swapctl utility exists primarily for those familiar with other BSDs and may be used to add, remove, or list swap devices. Note that the -a option is used differently in swapctl and indicates that a specific list of devices should be added. The -d option indicates that a spe- cific list should be removed. The -A and -U options to swapctl operate on all swap entries in /etc/fstab which do not have their ``noauto'' option set. Swap information can be generated using the swapinfo(8) utility, pstat -s, or swapctl -l. The swapctl utility has the following options for listing swap: -h Output values in human-readable form. -g Output values in gigabytes. -k Output values in kilobytes. -m Output values in megabytes. -l List the devices making up system swap. -s Print a summary line for system swap. The BLOCKSIZE environment variable is used if not specifically overridden. 512 byte blocks are used by default. FILES
/dev/{ada,da}?s?b standard paging devices /dev/md? memory disk devices /etc/fstab ASCII file system description table DIAGNOSTICS
These utilities may fail for the reasons described in swapon(2). SEE ALSO
swapon(2), fstab(5), init(8), mdconfig(8), pstat(8), rc(8) HISTORY
The swapon utility appeared in 4.0BSD. The swapoff and swapctl utilities appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. BSD
November 22, 2013 BSD