Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run shell script automatically Post 302223699 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 11th of August 2008 07:29:06 AM
Old 08-11-2008
depends on the shell you are using... have a look at the manpage of you login-shell and insert your script in the mentioned startup config file... should be something like ".profile".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run a script automatically ?????

Hi All, How to run a script automatically using cronjob everyday from Monday to Friday 9A.M to 5P.M at an interval of ONE HOUR.I want the complete syntax means how to put in the cron job and there after. URGENTLY NEED HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE CHEERS Arunava (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunava_maity
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to run a Script automatically

How to make a script run automatically using a cron?? i do not know abt cron...... if i have simple.sh file and i need this to run everyday at a particular time what needs to be done thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamsa
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically run bash script

Hi! I want to run/execute a bash script automatically everytime when a specific file is created or when its timestamp changes. Is this possible? How? Thank you very much for your answers in advance, Regards, Christoph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckofler
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a script automatically

Hi All, How can i run a script every week automatically. Thanks & regards, Sam (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable has no value if run the script automatically/scheduled

Hi All, I am using ksh as the shell. I have a script that should store variable after executing "onstat" on informix. I can execute it successfully without any issue if run manually, however the value is not showing up when run automatically(scheduled). Is there anything needed to make the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to run a script automatically when AIX version 7 server reboots?

Am new to AIX please help me. I have AIX7 server. When ever the system reboots my script need to run automatically. This will help me to start my application automatically after the server reboot. Thanks, Prince Wells (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script automatically on reboot as root user?

Hi friends,,, I am running one server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit, some times my pc restarts automatically, with no reason, I have a script to start server which requires root password. in this directory /myserver/start_server.sh How can I do this ? and some scripts I am having that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script automatically every 12 hour once?

Hi ! all, I have once script to remove temporary cache and temporary xml files looks like this, as it is taking more space, I would like to run automatically every 12 hour once, and then I want to receive some log as acknowledgement #!/bin/sh echo "Removing logs and temp files (typically... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script before and after reboot automatically and send output to two locations.

Hello Team . I am working a health check script ( bash) to run on linux server ( RedHat) and requirements are 1. The o/p of script need to be send to two diff files . I am testing with tee command . But I am not successful yet , any recommendations if that is the right approach ? 2. The same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varja
2 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)