Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers match a character in a line and replace Post 302223429 by redoubtable on Sunday 10th of August 2008 06:40:20 AM
Old 08-10-2008
One of your examples is different of the others.

934567123GHJKUI4O 7 -> "4" is the 16th char.
987123678ZXCVB6Y 5 7689 -> "6" is the 15th char.

I made it replace the 15th char, but if you want to replace the 16th just change substr's param from 14 to 15.

Code:
redoubtable@Tsunami ~ $ echo -e "987123678ZXCVB6Y 5 7689\n934567123GHJKUI4O 7\n123456789QWERT2U 2 erter"|perl -ne '@a = ("}","J","K","L","M","N","O","P","Q","R"); substr($_, 14, 1, $a[substr($_, 14, 1)]); print'
987123678ZXCVBOY 5 7689
934567123GHJKU}4O 7
123456789QWERTKU 2 erter
redoubtable@Tsunami ~ $

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace Line which contains the Pattern match with a new line

I need to replace the line containing "STAGE_DB" with the line "STAGE_DB $DB # database that contains the table being loaded ($workingDB)" Here $DB is passed during the runtime. How can I do this? Thanks, Kousikan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kousikan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a character in last line

Hello Sed Experts, I have got a file which contain entries as below pmNoOfSwDownHsCong, pmUlUpswitchAttemptHigh, pmUlUpswitchAttemptLow, pmUlUpswitchSuccessHigh, pmUlUpswitchSuccessLow, pmUpswitchFachHsAttempt, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to replace a new line character

sample I/p: S12J LLL H77K PPP J25O LOP I73S lOP K99O PLO Required O/p: S12J LLL H77K PPP J25O LOP I73S lOP K99O PLO how to replace a new line character with space using sed command only Cheers, Chan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace character in the line

I have unix text file which has the following data aadjdfad;fa;fjjd;lakd;lkaslkd;k;k;lk;k;lk;l;lk;lkj;lj;lkj;k;lkj;lj;lkj;lkj;lkj;j sdkadk;adlf;lajf;akdjf;lkdjf;lkadjf;lkajsd;lfkj;lkj;lkj;lk;lk;lk;lk;k;lkj;k;lkm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raju Datla
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace last character of every second line

Hi all. I wonder if this possible.... any help advice is very much appreciated.. I n a shell script I create a latex file that looks like this \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphics} \begin{document} \begin{figure} \begin{center} \begin{tabular}{cc} ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
10 Replies

6. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Character match and replace

Hello All I am struck in the issue which I want to share with all of you. What I am trying to do is For every line in a file I have to replace a particular character from the given character in a file For Example Suppose the data is 1111x2222 1111x2222 2222y3333 1111x2222 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove/replace the very first character/symbol match

cat file.txt file 1123.x July 23:222 /cd/hh2/k39/ss2/f7d8d9d8e6r5t4s/dd2/e/s7a/s7a2afa5017d8b975-1.7-1395610245-b22e19bbc477b134 i wish to only extract out the 1.7 (anything within the first - -) i try to look for the sed command under match the first occurence of pattern but out of luck, my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in refs/replace/ namespace. The name of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the replacement object. The replaced object and the replacement object must be of the same type. This restriction can be bypassed using -f. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist. There is no other restriction on the replaced and replacement objects. Merge commits can be replaced by non-merge commits and vice versa. Replacement references will be used by default by all Git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f, --force If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d, --delete Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern>, --list <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. CREATING REPLACEMENT OBJECTS
git-filter-branch(1), git-hash-object(1) and git-rebase(1), among other git commands, can be used to create replacement objects from existing objects. If you want to replace many blobs, trees or commits that are part of a string of commits, you may just want to create a replacement string of commits and then only replace the commit at the tip of the target string of commits with the commit at the tip of the replacement string of commits. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. SEE ALSO
git-hash-object(1) git-filter-branch(1) git-rebase(1) git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-REPLACE(1)