Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Paste command issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Paste command issue Post 302223422 by p50p100 on Sunday 10th of August 2008 04:45:27 AM
Old 08-10-2008
Windows file have <cr><lf> with line end.
Linux file only have <lf> with line end.

So paste command can recognize <lf> between the line and the other line.

Therfore you need to exchange line end char <cr><lf> to <lf> with below command before you use paste command.

Code:
sed -e 's/\r$//' -i file1.txt
sed -e 's/\r$//' -i file2.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

paste command

I wonder if any body can help me with a command i am struggling with. I have a file with around 400 lines in, in a program i have it pulls out each line at a time so that data from the line can be cross referenced with another file. If it finds a match it pulls out a ocde from the second file, this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Paste command

Hello everyone, This is Rameshreddy. I like this forum and its nice to share everyone's experience here and one can learn a lot from here. Appreciate the moderators especially. Coming to my question i have 2 files and i want to paste them with specific number of tabs as delimiters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudhireddy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command paste with variables

Hi. I have an interesting problem and i couldn't find out the solution. I have two variables in which there are a lot of lines finished by \n. I would like to concatenate this two variables into one in this format: var1var2 var1var2 . . . I could do this simply by command paste but it works... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
32 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste command

input1 15 150 input2 x 10 100 input3 y 20 200 z 34 44 cmd paste -d "\t" input1 input2 input3 >>output output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with using cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't paste in command line.

Hello. I've made a simple script which asks the user to input a hash and then runs a command that replaces the variable $hash with what the user inserted. The ting is that when the programm asks for input I can't paste anything there..! any clues?? :wall: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: louboulos
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste command without spacing?

I'm trying to combine text files without a space. So if i use the paste command paste file1 file2 file3 > file4 the new file created has spacing between the contents of the once individual files. Is there some trick I can do with a delimiter that removes the spaces.. like paste -d'' or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steveinthebox
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with cut and paste

let i have A file and B file A has contains 4 fields as below ---------------- f1 f2 f3 f4 B file consists of 5 fields as below -------------------- f5 f6 f7 f8 f9 need to display as below output: f5 f1 f3 f8 f9 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANSHUMAN1983
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Paste command formatting

Hi, I was trying to concatenate some files using paste command along with some formatting but getting stuck. The problem is: cat 1.txt A cat 2.txt B C cat3.txt D E cat 4.txt G H (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with paste command

Hi, I am facing issue with paste command. It is adding spaces or tab in between. I have say 3 files with below data File_1 TH THI THIS I File_2 IS IS S IS RE S File_3 RECORD 1 CORD 2 IS RECORD 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simanto
3 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. EXAMPLE
This example reads a file one line at a time and prints it out with the current line number attached to the start of each line. set chan [open "some.file.txt"] set lineNumber 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineNumber]: $line" } close $chan SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)