Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check for File Existence
Operating Systems AIX Check for File Existence Post 302223255 by bakunin on Friday 8th of August 2008 07:30:41 PM
Old 08-08-2008
use the "test" command with the "-f" option. It tests for the existence of a (regular) file. You could even refine your test with the "-r" option, which tests for a regular file which has read access:

Code:
if [ -f /path/to/file ] ; then
     print - "file /path/to/file exists and is a regular file"
else
     print "file /path/to/file does not exist or is no regular file"
fi

if [ -r /path/to/file ] ; then
     print - "file /path/to/file exists and is a readable regular file"
else
     print "file /path/to/file does not exist or is not readable or no regular file"
fi

Employing the logic you use it would be possible to set a flag:

Code:
#! /bin/ksh
typeset -i lFoundSO=0
typeset    fDir="/some/where"
typeset    fFileBuffer=""

ls $fDir/SALESORDER*.dat | while read fFileBuffer ; do
     lFoundSO=1
     do_some_processing $fFileBuffer
done

if [ $lFoundSO eq 1 ] ; then
     ls $fDir/PURCHASEORDER*.dat | while read fFileBuffer ; do
          do_some_other_processing $fFileBuffer
     done
fi

if [ $lFoundSO eq 0 ] ; then
     print -u2 "Error: no SALESORDER-file found"
     exit 1
fi

exit 0

Notice that i have not used a for-loop but a while-loop instead. The reason is that the commandline has a limited length (4096 characters per POSIX 1003). As the wildcards get expanded when processing the commandline it can well be that many matching files would make a string too long for the shell to digest. You would get a "line too long-error". Therefore the while-loop and a pipeline is more safe than the for-loop.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to check the file existence using shell scripting in Solaris-10

Hi, I have a script which will check the fiel existence, the lines are as below if !(test -d ./data) then mkdir data fi In the first line error occurs as below generatelicense.sh: syntax error at line 2: `!' unexpected Where as this script works fine in linux OS. How to solve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh to check for existence of file

Hi, I would like to check the existence of files (doesn;t matter the number of files) in a directory. My file is named in the following manner (always ending with " myfile "). Can anybody give me some guidance? EG: abc1_myfile sdfr_myfile sffgd_myfile and so on ...... My... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

3. AIX

how to check the existence of a file during ftp using korn shell?

i can able to transfer a file from build server(AIX)to webserver using ksh through ftp.my query is to check the existence of file while transfering from one server to other .i.e i need some command or script that checks the existence of file with same name in both server,within ftp syntax. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

4. AIX

how to check the existence of a file using korn shell?

we have tranferred an ear from local server to remote server using ftp.consider, we have an ear file named a.ear in remote server,again if we transfer the same file named a.ear from local server to remote server.we need the kshell to check the existence of the ear file in remote server,and if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
3 Replies

5. AIX

check for file existence

Hello I am having a requirement like if there is no file in the directory then i need a message to pop on after the execution of the script. My script basically does for File in `ls -t $DIRECTORY | tail -1`; if there is no file the DIRECTORY then the script is simply exiting with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for file existence?

i want to check if the file is in the directory or not, and also it should be handle error conditions, like missing files and report the error and exit. i did something like this: file ="hello" if !test -e "${file}" then echo "No such files exist!" exit 1 else do something....... fi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingming88
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for file existence using wildcards

I am using the following command to check for files on a Unix (Solaris 9) and on Linux: if (-r *.) then echo " las file found" else echo " no las file found" endif If no las file is present, the "no las file found" message is displayed. If a las file is present, however, I get... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to check existence of file name which has regex

Hi All. Pls help me with the command to check existence of files (I'll mention name of the file as regex) and proceed with my further processing if atleast one of them exists in detail, I've a dir /tmp/TURP, which may or may not have files named with "exter*.txt" I need to check and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skpvalvekar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To check for existence of a file

I need to check for the existence of a file *.log in a specific directory using a perl script. Presently am not in that particular directory. So i am using chdir ("/path/to/my/file) And then i am using the -e in an if statement to check if it exists. if (-e $File) {......} $File contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manutd
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existence check

hi i wanted to check if the file exist or not(multiple files) DIRE=/home/V478 if ; then echo "file present" else echo "file not present" fi But i am getting the error as : [: unexpected operator/operand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
3 Replies
shell_builtins(1)                                                                                                                shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)