Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing a driver
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing a driver Post 302223108 by Brian-UOIT on Friday 8th of August 2008 11:07:02 AM
Old 08-08-2008
Installing a driver

Hi All,

I am trying to install a driver for a CAN card of a machine running Ubuntu 8.04. It cames with three .tgz files for gcc2, gcc3, and k26. The current version of gcc is 4.2.1, which is causing me problems. I installed gcc-3.3 using

sudo apt-get install gcc-3.3

But when I run the make command for the driver, it still is using gcc 4.2.1, and as a result is not compiling.

How do I switch the PATH so that I am using gcc-3.3 to install the driver. I am very new to Linux, please help.

Thanks,
Brian

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing driver in linux redhat... what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to install this driver: http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=15&l3_id=15&m_id=1&f_name=5702_558.zip~zaqwedc hoping it will correct my problem with my ethernet card. I am following the instructions in the text file that came with download... it says to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minnesota Red
7 Replies

2. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing Network on Computer, might be driver

Hi All, Just completing my second Solaris installation, in the previous one which was on a Dell X64 machine, I went through the Network configuration setting, on the current computer which I am installing Solaris on, its a custom built machine and for some reason, I didnt see the screen where I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: platforminc
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing device driver for TSM library

I am installing an lin_tape-1.38.0-1.src.rpm file but it won't install Linux version Linux 2.6.18-164.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 04:41:04 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux but I am getting issues when installing # rpmbuild --rebuild lin_tape-1.38.0-1.src.rpm Installing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot option Available partitions 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr 0800 488386584 sda driver:sd

Help, suspect hacked via serial or electric! any ideas on error "Pid:1, comm:swapper Tainted:G W 2.6.35-22 generic #33 -unbutu device = "(null)" or unknown-blocklist(8.1) please append a correct "root"boot option Available partitions 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr 0800 488386584 sda driver:sd. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kryclear
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Is Ubuntu OS good? Do you need to install any driver after installing it?

I'm planning to install the Ubuntu OS on my laptop(currently has windows Vista), but I don't know if Ubuntu is good. Do you need to install any drivers for Ubuntu? Can I send stuff to my printer in Ubuntu? Is it compatible with my printer driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installing broadcom driver for wireless access

I use lspci and dmesg command and find out that i have ipw2000 wireless card on my laptop. I want to install driver for that but i'm not getting proper driver for that.My linux version is el5 and architecture is i386. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbharad
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Issues in Installing Ethernet Driver on RHEL6

Am using Toshiba Satellite C850-l5212 Laptop . I have installed RHEL6 server on it ( Linux 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 ) Now ethernet eth0 is no working .Am not able to find eth0 when i do ifconfig -a . Later found that ethernet driver was not installed. tar jxvf compat-drivers-2013-03-15-u.tar.bz2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilcaesar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing Printer driver

So I have a canon printer I'm trying to set it up I've gotten the driver from here; wget -c http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0100005511/01/cnijfilter-mg7100series-4.00-1-rpm.tar.gz I try and run the script thats below; But I know where i have to copy the driver too. I was wonder what file i have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtsmith90
10 Replies
APT-BUILD(1)						      General Commands Manual						      APT-BUILD(1)

NAME
apt-build - Fetch sources and build packages optimized for your architecture. SYNOPSIS
apt-build [ options ] [ update ] [ upgrade ] [ world ] [ install pkg ] [ remove pkg ] [ info pkg ] DESCRIPTION
apt-build is an apt-get frontend to build and install architecture optimized packages. COMMANDS
update Retrieve new lists of packages upgrade Perform an upgrade world Rebuild your system install Build and install new packages source Download and extract source in the build directory info Info on a package which could be built remove Remove packages clean-build Erase built packages clean-sources Call debian/rules clean in source directories build-source Build source without installing them update-source Update sources and rebuild them if they are missing in the repository build-repository Rebuild the repository OPTIONS
--help Shows help --nowrapper Do not use the gcc wrapper --remove-builddep Remove build-dependencies installed by apt-build --no-source Don't download source --build-dir Specify build-dir --build-only Build package only --rebuild Rebuild a package --reinstall Build and install an already installed package --build-command <command> Use this command to build package --patch <file> Apply this patch before build (you can use this option one or several times) --patch-strip, -p <number> Prefix to strip on patch (0 = -p0, 1 = -p1 ...) --yes, -y Assume yes --purge Use purge instead of remove --noupdate Do not run 'apt-get update' before package installation --sources-list Specify sources.list file --apt-get Specify an alternative apt-get command --apt-cache Specify an alternative apt-cache command --force-yes Force yes --source Do not download source (sources are extracted already) --repository-dir Specify the repository directory --target-release Distribution to fetch packages from --config Specify an alternative configuration file --version, -v Show version BUGS
Many. AUTHOR
apt-build was written by Julien Danjou <acid@debian.org> with many contributors. 3rd Berkeley Distribution November 2003 APT-BUILD(1)