Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using sed to manipulate text in files Post 302223027 by Jefferson333 on Friday 8th of August 2008 06:48:44 AM
Old 08-08-2008
Ok, sorted it out, I just replaced the "/" with a "!"

sed 's/{/db/sybbackup/}{rm /db/sybbackup}/' removeold.txt >> rmscript
sed 's!/db/sybbackup!rm /db/sybbackup!' removeold.txt >> rmscript

Suppose i just needed to talk myself thru this :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to manipulate logfile text

Hi guys, I was wandering if a Shell guru could give me some advice on tackling a problem. I have used a mixture of grep, cut and awk to get data from a log file in the following format: 14/11/08 10:39: Checking currenly : Enabled 14/11/08 10:39: Records allocated : 221... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosspaddock
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

RE or Sed to manipulate a document

I have a file with a list of about 2500 lines that I'd like to reformat using some regex in notepad++ or sed from my box (FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE i386) to do the following: convert from: mycommand > mydocument0.htmlbcfn mycommand > mydocument1.htmlcdcsfn mycommand > mydocument2.htmldechfn... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulate postscript via sed

dear all, on solaris10 for x86 i am trying to modify the creation date of a postscript file with sed in a csh script. sed is driving me crazy though...i think due to the spaces in the string i am trying to substitute?? part of the postscript file: %!PS-Adobe-3.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lada niva
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate lines with sed/awk

Hey All, I need to reorganize a file's text. Here is the source: host John_Doe filename "config.cfg"; hardware ethernet 98:10:3d:13:8f:98; fixed-address 10.10.10.29; } host Jane_Doe filename "config.cfg"; hardware ethernet 98:13:11:fd:5a:57; fixed-address 10.10.5.24; } host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to manipulate the /etc/passwd file

Hi. Can anybody help me with a script to extract usernames, shell and home_directory from the /etc/passwd file. I am stuck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate columns using sed

Hello, I would like to remove the first column of lines beginning by a character (in my case is an open square bracket) and finishing by a space (or any other delimiter). For example: string1 string2 string3 to string2 string3 I found this previous topic: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stoyanova
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate the text file in UNIX

Hi All, I have a file like below and i have 2 questions on this (They are 3 lines starts with 01 , 02 and 03. but is 01abc333644554 234 2334535 34534535355353 sfsdf345455 353 4543 jgkg tty 7676 02cdesdfsdfsdf 234 wesdfsdf 345345 234234 234234 2342342 dfgdfg sdfgg dgdgdg fgvfs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva.pitchai
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I remove partial duplicates and manipulate text?

Hello, How can I remove partial duplicates and manipulate text in bash using either awk, grep or sed? Thanks. Input: ted,"foo,bar,zoo" john-son,"foot,ben,zoo" bob,"bar,foot" Expected Output: foo,ted bar,ted zoo,ted foot,john-son ben,john-son (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A better way to manipulate text

Good morning everyone, I'm currently trying to convert an environment variable into a string and then attach it at the end of a command and launch it. I have the following right now, but it's very ugly: AMI_TAGS="env=test,country=XX,city=blah,galaxy=blahblah" aws ec2 create-tags... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to manipulate a text file and store each version for every changes in a directory?

I attached both picturehttps://1drv.ms/t/s!Aoomvi55MLAQh1jODfUxa-xurns_ and *.txt file of a sample work file. In this file Reactions which only start with "r1f", "r2f", "r3f"......and so on. And for each reaction the reaction rates is situated couple of lines later with a "+" sign. For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)