Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Package post-install script problem Post 302222948 by kingpmp on Friday 8th of August 2008 02:26:13 AM
Old 08-08-2008
Question Package post-install script problem

I wrote a post-install script, which is executed after the package installation by command like " pkgadd -d /mypackage.pkg".

I also want to read user input in post-install script as follows:
Code:
  while [ "$ANSWER" != "y" -a "$ANSWER" != "n" ] ;
  do
     echo "Apply changes to database? [y/n]:"
     read ANSWER
  done

However, it does NOT pause and wait for user input at all! Instead, it goes into an infinite loop:
Code:
Apply changes to database? [y/n]:

Any advice will be appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uninstall and install a package

Hi, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon). How can I : 1-install a package (exemple : compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.128.src.rpm) 2-uninstall (or delete or deinstall) a package (exemple : compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.122). Many thanks before. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

2. Solaris

how to install package

Hi How to install package from Freeware for Solaris Specificaly i want to install lsof-4.77-sol10-sparc-local.gz Thanks Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitarcade
2 Replies

3. Solaris

install and uninstall package

I'm a newcomer for Solaris. I tried to install Net::FTP package ( a tool perl ) on our sun server 5.9. We used the below command: /usr/bin/perl MakeFilePL make make install How can I uninstall this package ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

looking for ImageMagick install package

i am struggling to find an error free, and complete install package for ImageMagick (with perl- "PerlMagick"). imagemagick.org not much help.... links for source, mirrors etc dont work. any pointers appreciated. linux server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mickeymouse
2 Replies

5. Solaris

not able to install the package

I am working with sun solaris 9 and I want to install some packages but due to less disk space I am not able to install the packages. I am giving the output of filesystem-- # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 2148263 1997593 107705 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
10 Replies

6. Solaris

how to install this package

Dears, i am new user in solaris i am using solaris 10 https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=Sol-audio-drivers1.0-x86-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI after i unzip this package i didn't found any package to install cos i only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharkux
1 Replies

7. Linux

How install a new package without remove old package?

Dear all, I would like to install a new version of package without remove old version on Centos and vice versa. Please give me advice! thanks much, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't install rpm package with --prefix in new path.Error: package is not relocatable

Hello, i have downloaded an rpm package "hadoop-0.20.205.0-1.amd64.rpm" in /usr/local/ directory. I'm trying to install the rpm package in a new path/location (/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205), but i can't. I did: 1st try: Didn't work sudo rpm -i --prefix=/usr/local/hadoop-0.20.205... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem when trying to remove a package using rpm command - error: package is not installed

Hello, i have installed a package by using the command sudo rpm -i filepackage.rpm package filepackage is already installed when i try to remove it, i get an error saying "is not installed": sudo rpm -e filepackage.rpm error: package filepackage is not installed How can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_p
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

faceing problem when i try to install any package!

Hello, When i try to install any package,the following appears: # yum install yum Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin This system is not registered with RHN. RHN support will be disabled. Setting up Install Process Nothing to do # plz guide me asap! ---------- Post... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
1 Replies
RINSE(8)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  RINSE(8)

NAME
rinse - RPM Installation Entity. SYNOPSIS
rinse [options] Help Options: --help Show help information. --manual Read the manual for this script. --version Show the version information and exit. Mandatory Options: --arch Specify the architecture to install. --directory The directory to install the distribution within. --distribution The distribution to install. Customization Options: --add-pkg-list Additional packages to download and install --after-post-install Additionally run the specified script after the post install script. --before-post-install Additionally run the specified script before the post install script. --post-install Run the given post-install script instead of the default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro Misc Options: --cache Should we use a local cache? (Default is 1) --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Clean our cache of .rpm files. --config Specify a different configuration file. (Default is /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --pkgs-dir Specify a different directory containing <distribution>.packages files. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. (Default is to read it from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --list-distributions Show installable distributions. --print-uris Only show the RPMs which should be downloaded. default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro --verbose Enable verbose output. OPTIONS
--arch Specify the architecture to install. Valid choices are 'amd64' and 'i386' only. --add-pkg-list Add a list of additional packages. --cache Specify whether to cache packages (1) or not (0). --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Remove all cached .rpm files. --directory Specify the directory into which the distribution should be installed. --distribution Specify the distribution to be installed. --help Show help information. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. Normally this is read from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf. --list-distributions Show the distributions which are installable. --manual Read the manual for this script. --print-uris Only show the files we would download, don't actually do so. --verbose Enable verbose output. --version Show the version number and exit. DESCRIPTION
rinse is a simple script which is designed to be able to install a minimal working installation of an RPM-based distribution into a directory. The tool is analogous to the standard Debian GNU/Linux debootstrap utility. USAGE
To use this script you will need to be root. This is required to mount /proc, run chroot, and more. Basic usage is as simple as: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --directory /tmp/test This will download the required RPM files and unpack them into a minimal installation of Fedora Core 6. To see which RPM files would be downloaded, without actually performing an installation or downloading anything, then you may run the following: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --print-uris TODO
Short of supporting more distributions or architectures there aren't really any outstanding issues. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2011-2013 by Thomas Lange. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. 2.0.1 2013-01-28 RINSE(8)