Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming string with invalid characters Post 302222853 by shamrock on Thursday 7th of August 2008 04:23:35 PM
Old 08-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleopard
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Yes, I tried the 'tr' string and that looks like it will work just fine. One last question. The sample that Franklin gave indicated the characters that are legal. If I wanted to use the same form of his example, except indicating the characters that aren't legal, what would be the syntax? Putting a '!' in front of the list of characters, like 'tr -cd ![*#$%]', something like that? Thanks again.
Code:
echo filename_string | tr -d '[a-zA-Z]'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invalid Characters in the file.

I am working on AIX. We ftp files to a database. The flat files are having thousands of records and each record is having some 50 to 60 characters(there are fields having certain character length). In addition to some valid ascii characters some invalid characters like Å, å, Ä, ä or pipes creep in which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invalid Characters in the file.

I am working on AIX. We ftp files to a database. The flat files are having thousands of records and each record is having some 50 to 60 characters(there are fields having certain character length). In addition to some valid ascii characters some invalid characters like Å, å, Ä, ä or pipes creep in which... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell script to find line of invalid characters

Hi, I have to write s script to check an input file for invalid characters. In this script I have to find the exact line of the invalid character. If the input file contain 2 invalid character sat line 10 and 17, the script will show the value 10 and 17. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner82
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get certain characters in a string

Hi Everyone, I have a.txt 12341" <sip:191@vo.my>;asdf=q" 116aaaa<sip:00091@vo.my>;penguin would like to get the output 191 00091 Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove invalid database characters on a file

Hi All - I'm building a script wherein it is design to remove characters that are not accepted on a non-unicode database. Examples are the following: ï,¿,½,Â,é, etc. I can easily sed those characters one-by-one but I there's a problem when other unicode characters are found. Is there any way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jin_
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To get the invalid characters from a file

Hello, Can any one help me in below query to search all the invalid characters that UNIX cannot recognize from a file. can we do anything with the help of grep command or any other commands. Also, i am not sure what are the invalid characters present in the file. Many thanks in advance. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandru
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Invalid arithmetic operator on string concatenation

Hello. LEAP_VERSION="4.2" export ARRAY_MAIN_REPO_LEAP=('zypper_local' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Non-Oss' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Oss' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Update' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Update-Non-Oss')Seems that the - is interpreted as a numeric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
base32::core(3tcl)						  Base32 encoding						base32::core(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
base32::core - Expanding basic base32 maps SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require base32::core ?0.1? ::base32::core::define map forwvar backwvar ivar ::base32::core::valid string pattern mvar _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides generic commands for the construction of full base32 mappings from a basic mapping listing just the codes and associ- ated characters. The full mappings, regular and inverse, created here map to and from bit sequences, and also handle the partial mappings at the end of a string. This is in essence an internal package to be used by implementors of a base32 en- and decoder. A regular user has no need of this package at all. API
::base32::core::define map forwvar backwvar ivar This command computes full forward and backward (inverse) mappings from the basic map and stores them in the variables named by for- wvar and backwvar resp. It also constructs a regexp pattern for the detection of invalid characters in supposedly base32 encoded input and stores it in the variable named by ivar. ::base32::core::valid string pattern mvar This command checks if the input string is a valid base32 encoded string, based on the pattern of invalid characters as generated by ::base32::core::define, and some other general rules. The result of the command is a boolean flag. Its value is True for a valid string, and False otherwise. In the latter case an error message describing the problem with the input is stored into the variable named by mvar. The variable is not touched if the input was found to be valid. The rules checked by the command, beyond rejection of bad characters, are: [1] The length of the input is not a multiple of eight, [2] The padding appears not at the end of input, but in the middle, [3] The padding has not of length six, four, three, or one characters, BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category base32 of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
base32 CATEGORY
Text processing COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) Public domain base32 0.1 base32::core(3tcl)