Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming the parent receive SIGTERM from its child (httpd) ? Post 302222581 by era on Thursday 7th of August 2008 04:13:04 AM
Old 08-07-2008
I'm guessing with kill -9 you are not allowing it to run its regular signal handlers, which include sending a SIGTERM to the parent. I'm also guessing this is by design, and that you should be able to find an option which disables this behavior. Is this Apache httpd? Does the same thing happen if you leave out the -D FOREGROUND or use a different -D option? Can't you simply stop it with ctrl-C anyway?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How hard can it be? ps child/parent

:( Since I'm fairly new to the scene and don't have much experience in shell programming, I decided to check out the net for a useful script or two. What I'm looking for is a script that would let me enter a PID and then show the process tree associated with it. So it would display the (grand-)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: velde046
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill parent and child

Hello all, I have gone through the search and looked at posting about idle users and killing processes. Here is my question I would like to kill an idle user ( which I can do) but how can I asure that all of his process is also killed whit out tracing his inital start PID. I have tried this on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

6. Programming

To share fd between parent and child

i used function fork(). so i made two process. parent process accepted socket fd and writing to shared memory. then now. how can child process share parent's socket fd? is this possible? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with deleting childīs parent and child subprocess

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to make an program that in a loop creates one parent and five children with fork(). The problem i'm trying to solve is how to delete the parent and child of the childīs process. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteFace
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parent and child directory

does anyone know how to check in an 'if' statement if a particular directory is a child directory of a particular directory? help ~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh child process not ignoring SIGTERM

My ksh version is ksh93- =>rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-3.fc13.i686 I have a simple script which is as below - #cat test_sigterm.sh - #!/bin/ksh trap 'echo "removing"' QUIT while read line do sleep 20 done I am Executing the script From Terminal 1 - 1. The ksh is started... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpoornar
3 Replies
SYSTEMD.KILL(5) 						   systemd.kill 						   SYSTEMD.KILL(5)

NAME
systemd.kill - Process killing procedure configuration SYNOPSIS
service.service, socket.socket, mount.mount, swap.swap, scope.scope DESCRIPTION
Unit configuration files for services, sockets, mount points, swap devices and scopes share a subset of configuration options which define the killing procedure of processes belonging to the unit. This man page lists the configuration options shared by these five unit types. See systemd.unit(5) for the common options shared by all unit configuration files, and systemd.service(5), systemd.socket(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd.mount(5) and systemd.scope(5) for more information on the configuration file options specific to each unit type. The kill procedure configuration options are configured in the [Service], [Socket], [Mount] or [Swap] section, depending on the unit type. OPTIONS
KillMode= Specifies how processes of this unit shall be killed. One of control-group, process, mixed, none. If set to control-group, all remaining processes in the control group of this unit will be killed on unit stop (for services: after the stop command is executed, as configured with ExecStop=). If set to process, only the main process itself is killed. If set to mixed, the SIGTERM signal (see below) is sent to the main process while the subsequent SIGKILL signal (see below) is sent to all remaining processes of the unit's control group. If set to none, no process is killed. In this case, only the stop command will be executed on unit stop, but no process be killed otherwise. Processes remaining alive after stop are left in their control group and the control group continues to exist after stop unless it is empty. Processes will first be terminated via SIGTERM (unless the signal to send is changed via KillSignal=). Optionally, this is immediately followed by a SIGHUP (if enabled with SendSIGHUP=). If then, after a delay (configured via the TimeoutStopSec= option), processes still remain, the termination request is repeated with the SIGKILL signal (unless this is disabled via the SendSIGKILL= option). See kill(2) for more information. Defaults to control-group. KillSignal= Specifies which signal to use when killing a service. This controls the signal that is sent as first step of shutting down a unit (see above), and is usually followed by SIGKILL (see above and below). For a list of valid signals, see signal(7). Defaults to SIGTERM. Note that, right after sending the signal specified in this setting, systemd will always send SIGCONT, to ensure that even suspended tasks can be terminated cleanly. SendSIGHUP= Specifies whether to send SIGHUP to remaining processes immediately after sending the signal configured with KillSignal=. This is useful to indicate to shells and shell-like programs that their connection has been severed. Takes a boolean value. Defaults to "no". SendSIGKILL= Specifies whether to send SIGKILL to remaining processes after a timeout, if the normal shutdown procedure left processes of the service around. Takes a boolean value. Defaults to "yes". SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), journalctl(8), systemd.unit(5), systemd.service(5), systemd.socket(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd.mount(5), systemd.exec(5), systemd.directives(7), kill(2), signal(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD.KILL(5)