Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep, awk, typeset in a shell script.. Post 302222453 by nick_25 on Wednesday 6th of August 2008 11:27:11 PM
Old 08-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_cherry
Code:
nawk '{print toupper($1)" is husband of"toupper($2)" & father of "toupper($3)}' filename

Thanks for the reply but this thing won't work since I am converting lowercase to Uppercase so that the grep can work b'coz in the file everything is in uppercase. I m doing something wrong in grep statement not in awk one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

typeset and values returned from awk output

Somebody can please give a highlight on this. The problem shows only on Linux(Redhat) not any other unix flavors :confused: Linux : $unset m $m=`find . -newer rman_padev_20051206195000.out -name "*L0.rman" -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{ s+=$5 } END{printf("%.0f", s)}'` $echo $m 7425089536... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathom
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script / Grep / Awk to variable and Loop

Hi, I have a text file with data in that I wish to extract, assign to a variable and process through a loop. Kind of the process that I am after: 1: Grep the text file for the values. Currently using: cat /root/test.txt | grep TESTING= | awk -F"=" '{ a = $2 } {print a}' | sort -u ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoonless
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with awk and grep script

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID for USERID in `cat passwd | awk -F : '{print $1}'` do USERHOME=`grep ^$/qianxin/ passwd | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep ^$/qianxin/ passwd | awk -F : '{print $7}'` $PRINTF "$USERID\n" $PRINTF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sql error in shell script and exit the script?

I need help in the following script. I want to grep the sql errors insert into the error table and exit the shell script if there is any error, otherwise keep running the scripts. Here is my script #!/bin/csh -f source .orapass set user = $USER set pass = $PASS cd /opt/data/scripts echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how the typeset command works in shell script

typeset -l section section=${2:-.} what does these 2 lines meaning? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatababu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with awk and grep

Hi .. I am working on a shell script to do following task. I have Input file as follows. I have to find failed or Offline disk and run command # hic -ip 172.124.24.59 getlogicalgrp |grep -B10 diskid against the disk ID which is 1 line above the disk state. I am using grep with -b10 is because... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help when using Typeset in AIX Korn Shell

Guys, please help! I am currently using an AIX server however whenever I tried to use the typeset -F3, the variable is resulting with a "#". In the given example below, I declared x to be a decimal holding 3 decimal places = 1.455. However whenever I tried to echo the $x, the resulting value... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzavilz
9 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script: Sorting by column using grep/awk

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: You will write a script that will read a tab-separated file that contains the names of all 50 states &... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tburns517
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset is not working in Linux korn shell scripting

Hi All, Kindly help on the below issue ASAP. Its very urgent. I have script in which we have below two lines for code and it is not working. Please help. files_to_process=" abc_*.log def_*.log ghi_*.log " typeset -A dir_list ${files_to_process} the script is failing in Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower, toupper_l, tolower_l - convert uppercase or lowercase SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); int toupper_l(int c, locale_t locale); int tolower_l(int c, locale_t locale); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): toupper_l(), tolower_l(): Since glibc 2.10: _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
These functions convert lowercase letters to uppercase, and vice versa. If c is a lowercase letter, toupper() returns its uppercase equivalent, if an uppercase representation exists in the current locale. Oth- erwise, it returns c. The toupper_l() function performs the same task, but uses the locale referred to by the locale handle locale. If c is an uppercase letter, tolower() returns its lowercase equivalent, if a lowercase representation exists in the current locale. Oth- erwise, it returns c. The tolower_l() function performs the same task, but uses the locale referred to by the locale handle locale. If c is neither an unsigned char value nor EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. The behavior of toupper_l() and tolower_l() is undefined if locale is the special locale object LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE (see duplocale(3)) or is not a valid locale object handle. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ |toupper(), tolower(), | Thread safety | MT-Safe | |toupper_l(), tolower_l() | | | +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
toupper(), tolower(): C89, C99, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. toupper_l(), tolower_l(): POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
The standards require that the argument c for these functions is either EOF or a value that is representable in the type unsigned char. If the argument c is of type char, it must be cast to unsigned char, as in the following example: char c; ... res = toupper((unsigned char) c); This is necessary because char may be the equivalent signed char, in which case a byte where the top bit is set would be sign extended when converting to int, yielding a value that is outside the range of unsigned char. The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), newlocale(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), uselocale(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 TOUPPER(3)