Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split and making an array inside another array Post 302222214 by dcfargo on Wednesday 6th of August 2008 08:44:29 AM
Old 08-06-2008
split and making an array inside another array

I want to run an awk split on a value that has been pushed through an array and I was wondering what the syntax should be??

e.g. running time strings through an array and trying to examine just minutes:

12:25:30
10:15:13
08:55:23
Code:
awk '                    
      NR==FNR{
             a[NR]=$0
             next
             }
             {
              for(i=1;i<NR;i++)
split($0,a[i],":"); print a[i][2]
}'

I guess I'm wondering how to format for the subsection?? (a[i])[2] ???

Smilie

edit also will this substring from the split come out of the slit function as a number? e.g. can I do math on it or will it be a 'word'? If its a word can I make it a number?

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 08-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping a array inside inside ssh is not working, pls help

set -A arr a1 a2 a3 a4 # START ssh -xq $Server1 -l $Username /usr/bin/ksh <<-EOS integer j=0 for loop in ${arr} do printf "array - ${arr}\n" (( j = j + 1 )) j=`expr j+1` done EOS # END ========= this is not giving me correct output. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Array inside an array

hi All, I have a array as follows, array1=("xx" "abc" "def" "xyz") and each array1 is also storing some array values, like array1=abc and abc=("a" "b" "c") etcetera etcetra......... Note : each subarray under array1 have index 3 i.e. it can max contain 3 values if i echo ${abc} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using array inside awk

Hi All, I have the following code sequence for reading some bulk file and moving the content to two different arrays. while read data do THREEG_PATTERN=`echo $data | egrep "3G"` if then NEW_THREEG_PATTERN=`echo $THREEG_PATTERN | cut -d " " -f2` ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making array of string with bash

in.txt libgstreamer gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base Output should be: libgstreamer gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer0_10-plugins-base Then: #!/bin/sh v=(libgstreamer gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script :making array

Hi , i have a perl script which takes 'csv; file as input parameter and performs some tasks. CSV file format : MAGENTF,AGENTF8,mahfr001,tksfr01,. ./.profile 1>/dev/null 2>&1;ps -fe|grep 'gn1avm_agent -n AGENTF8'|grep gn1avm_agent|tr -s '' ''|cut -d ' ' -f 3|xargs kill -9,,. ./.profile... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique inside array

I have a file root@server # cat /root/list12 11.22.33.44 22.33.44.55 33.44.55.66 33.44.55.66 33.44.55.66 I try to pass to array and display unique. root@server# cat /root/test12.sh #!/bin/bash #delcare array badips and accumulate values to array elemenrs badips=( $( cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable inside array?

I tried to use variable inside an array variable, but its not working as expected.:wall: ENV1=123 ENV1=789 ENV1=120 ENV2=567 if then name=ENV1 echo "${name}" echo "${name}" echo "${name}" else name=ENV1 echo "${name}" fi Output: ./val.sh 1 123 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayavinoth
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Array inside sed

Hi guys Let me at first describe the whole thing that I'm trying to do. Lets say I have 100 files like the following one. Ow 1230 16.000000 -0.834000 16.083957 1.751652398 -17.20094528 -4.450623277 Hw 1231 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to split a string into array?

value=malayalam # i need to store the value in an array by splitting the character #the output i need is m a l a y a l a m Please use CODE tags for output data as well as required by forum rules! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
5 Replies

10. Programming

Making an array of 2D arrays in C

I hate I'm asking for help again. Unfortunately it seems there just aren't any links I can find on making an array that holds a bunch of two dimensional arrays. Maybe my google-fu is lacking. Basically I have a header file like this: #define MATRIX 10 int white_l1; int white_l2; int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)