Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to fetch substring from records into another file Post 302222097 by aigles on Wednesday 6th of August 2008 03:09:11 AM
Old 08-06-2008
(Not tested)
Code:
function print_selected(    i,k,p,str) {
   if (selected) {
      k = substr(Header, 1, Key_len);
      for (i=1; i<=Keys[k]; i++) {
         printf("%s (Region from %s-%s of %s)\n", 
                Header,  From[k,i], To[k,i], length(Alphabets));
         str = substr(Alphabets, From[k,i], Len[k,i]);
         p = 1
         while (p<=Len[k,i]) {
            print substr(str, p, 70);
            p += 70;
         }
      }
   }
}

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetch substring from html code

hello mates. please help me out once again. i have a html file where i want to fetch out one value from the entire html-code sample html code: ..... <b>Amount:<b> 12345</div> ... now i only want to fetch the 12345 from the html document. how to i tell sed to get me the value from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch lines from a file matching column2 of another file

Hi guys, Please help me out in this problem. I have two files FILE1 abc-23 : 4529675 cde-42 : 9824532 dge-91 : 1245367 gre-45 : 9824532 fgr-76 : 4529675 FILE2 4529675 : Gal Glu house-2-be 9824532 : cat mouse 1245367 : sirf surf-2-beta where FILE2 is a static file with fixed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to scan a sequential file to fetch some of the records?

Hi I am working on a script which needs to scan a sequential file and fetch the row where 2nd column = 'HUB' Can any one help me with this... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manmeet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sca a sequential file and fetch some substring data from it

Hi, I have a task where i need to scan second column of seuential file and fetch first 3 digits of that column For e.g. FOLLOWING IS THE SAMPLE FOR MY SEQUENTIAL FILE AU_ID ACCT_NUM CRNCY_CDE THHSBC001 30045678 THB THHSBC001 10154267 THB THHSBC001 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

make the name of file and fetch few things from log file

Hello All, I am working on a script where I need to fetch the value from a log file and log file creates with different name but few thing are common DEV_INFOMGT161_MULTI_PTC_BLD01.Stage_All_to_stp2perf1.042312114644.log STP_12_02_01_00_RC01.Stage_stp-domain_to_stp2perf2.042312041739.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fetch matched records from files between two different directory?

awk 'NR==FNR{arr;next} $0 in arr' /tmp/Data_mismatch.sh /prd/HK/ACCTCARD_20160115.txt edit by bakunin: seems that one CODE-tag got lost somewhere. i corrected that, but please check your posts more carefully. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_target
5 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)