Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which log files to watch for size? Post 302222006 by Annihilannic on Tuesday 5th of August 2008 07:44:27 PM
Old 08-05-2008
The system logs are in /var/adm, however they generally don't grow very much unless there's a problem with the server or some services that write to the system logs.

Best to just keep an eye on filesystem space usage using the df command, and if it is rising significantly over time use the du command to determine which files are the culprits.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limiting the size of syslog log files

I would like to limit the size of syslog log files. Is there a setting I can enter in syslog.conf that does this for me. Ideally I would like something along the lines of a circular buffer of N bytes. P.S. I'm a new user, and this site is awesome. I wish I found it earlier. Thanks, David (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmirza
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy only new files or files of a different size

hello i would like to copy files from 1 location to a nother, but it has only to copy files which are newer or have a different filesize. all has to be logged to a copy.log file (als skipped files should be in the log) is this possible with the cp command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arnoldg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Script to watch log files for 2 strings

Hi all, How can I do a ksh script to watch a log file for 2 specific alarms that have one this string : "Connection Error" and the other one: "Failure in sending". I would like to watch for these two alarms in the log and then if each of them repeats for about 30 times to go kill 2 processes. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Watch a directory for new files

In Solaris, and other distros without the "watch" command, use the following code watch for files added to a directory. #!/bin/bash while ; do watchdir=/var/tmp newfile=$watchdir/.newer touch $newfile find $watchdir -newer $newfile; touch -a -m $newfile; ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check log file size every 10 minute. Alert if log not update

How to check log size every 10min. by script (can use crontab) if log size not change with alert "Log not update" Base run on SunOS 5.8 Generic_Virtual sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise logFiles="log1.log log2.log" logLocation="/usr/home/test/log/" Out put. Tue Jan 31... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Watch a directory for files with a pecific pattern

I dont know if this possible. I need to watch a directory and if any file gets appeneded with a particular entry say, nologin.php, we should get output of that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Expect script for pulling log files size larger than 500Mb;

I am new at developing EXPECT scripts. I'm trying to create a script that will automatically connect to a several UNIX (sun solaris and HPUX) database server via FTP and pull the sizes of the listener/alert log files from specified server directory on the remote machines. 1. I want the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikebantor
7 Replies
INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					       INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)

NAME
inotify_rm_watch - remove an existing watch from an inotify instance SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/inotify.h> int inotify_rm_watch(int fd, int wd); DESCRIPTION
inotify_rm_watch() removes the watch associated with the watch descriptor wd from the inotify instance associated with the file descriptor fd. Removing a watch causes an IN_IGNORED event to be generated for this watch descriptor. (See inotify(7).) RETURN VALUE
On success, inotify_rm_watch() returns zero, or -1 if an error occurred (in which case, errno is set appropriately). ERRORS
EBADF fd is not a valid file descriptor. EINVAL The watch descriptor wd is not valid; or fd is not an inotify file descriptor. VERSIONS
Inotify was merged into the 2.6.13 Linux kernel. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. SEE ALSO
inotify_add_watch(2), inotify_init(2), inotify(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-10-15 INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)