Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: formatting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting formatting Post 302221814 by vijay_0209 on Tuesday 5th of August 2008 09:11:54 AM
Old 08-05-2008
formatting

I have file with different columns
for ex.

contents of file "txt"

NAME AGE MARKS
HARRY 23 89
TOM 12 67
BOB 23 11

and you see its not formatted.Now, I need the file "txt" to be formatted like

COLUMN1 COLUMN2 COLUMN3
NAME AGE MARKS
with proper spacing between them...

how to do this in shell scripting?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting

I've been asking on IRC channels but no one answers me, I need to format my hard drive, normally it's just format c: but c doesn't exist, how do I format when I have linux mandrake installed. Please reply to this quickly, I'm kinda in a rush :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darryll777
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting

is it possible to format a powerbook g4 mac? like totally erase the HD then pop in the Mac OS cd and it will boot up an install like windows or any linux? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xeron
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting

Hi Again Guys , Please i installed linux RH 6.1 on Toshiba , 10G , RAM=128 , 600 MHZ . After i installed linux i got many error messages , seems it was not installed correctly , also when i finished installation it did not ask me for the 2nd installation CD , and when i logged as root , i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting

I have next part of script: for i in $LIST do echo "`date +"%H:%M:%S"` Converting $i ..."; mysql -uroot some -sABe "ALTER TABLE $i ENGINE=$ENGINE"; done I want to get following output formatting: "OK" must be one under another :) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting

Is there a way to make a 2 column output out of the following : 1 2 3 4 5 6 Output : 1 2 3 4 5 6 Thanks, Prasanna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting of df -k

Hello, I am developing a platform Independant tool that should work for all major unix flavors outlined in this forum(Solaris,Linux, AIX, HPUX, SCO,BSD) Therefore, in order to cover all types of user community, I have deliberately posted the same message on every forum. Please do not think... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: darsh123
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help formatting

I need to format a txt file and convert it in CSV. Any "future" column is separated by a newline. FROM: XS1 1.43294 0.0 XS2 1.21824 0.0 TO: XS1,XS2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Help

Hi Guys, i have report that runs every 10 min and send the report of failed jobs to my mail. Currently i am using a command like this to send mail. mailx -t -s "FAILURE JOBS IN HYDRA $temp_date" addressee@domain.com < temp_file5 But i am getting mail in this format ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting

Good day All, I have requirement where my input data looks like below ] Message5 Expecting Output as 04/MAR/2104 ||| 23:15:45 ||| servername ||| NOTIFICATION |||message1||||||userId|||||| Message5 I could not use space delimiter as in the messages I would be having them as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tomlight
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with formatting

Hi, I am new to UNIX and need your help in formatting the below input command to the desire output Input: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX XPKTABLE1 ( COL1, COL2 ) ON TABLE_NM; Output: COMMENT ON TABLE DB_NM.TABLE_NM AS 'PK=,COL1,COL2; '; In... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun2327
14 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)