Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Greping columns data from file. Post 302221792 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 5th of August 2008 08:01:28 AM
Old 08-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by esungoe
in first one when i give below command

#awk '/HOUR COUNT/{f=1}f' <filename>

result::
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1
Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Data Positioning from Columns in a flat file.

Hi All, I have used this forum many times to solve my many scripting problems. This time, I would like to seek some answers to a problem that I've been head scratching quite a bit on. My Example: I am converting a 2000-byte file into a 300-byte file this file has no delimiters and hardly any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oott1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Create a file and enter data in columns

Hello!!!!!!!! I have an issue regarding inserting records in a file columnwise.Is it possible using awk/nawk script? Example: File1: 1|AAA|25|2 5|qqe|20|7 4|wer|31|81 I need to create a second file in which data can be inserted in a columnwise manner i.e. File2: AAA|25|1|2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijeet1409
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Initializing columns to NULL an saving data to a new file

Hi I've been trying to delete columns from a file, and the best option I could come up was to initialise them to NULL. The reason for this is because I need to compare the differences between 2 files with those specific columns excluded. Here is my script: #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding standard deviation for all columns in a data file

Hi All, I want someone to modify the below script from this forum so that it can be used for all columns in the file( instead of only printing column 3 mean and standard deviation values). I don't know how to loop around all the columns. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk based script to find the average of all the columns in a data file

Hi All, I need the modification for the below mentioned code (found in one more post https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/27161-script-generate-average-values.html) to find the average values for all the columns(but for a specific rows) and print the averages side by side. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating data in columns and writing them to new file

I have a file that contains records in the below format: 23857250998423948239482348239580923682396829682398094823049823948 23492780582305829852095820958293582093585823095892386293583203248 23482038509825098230958235234230502958205983958235820358205892095... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellhelp
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space or pattern between columns in a data file

I have a data file where three data sets are written in three columns. Can I increase the space between the columns without reading them? Also can I insert particular patterns, say comma between 1st and 2nd column and colon between 2nd and 3rd column? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delimiter appending in a data file if we receive a less columns than expected

Required No.of field = 12 Let say you got a “~” delimited input file and this file has 6 input fields and now I want to add 12-5=7 number of “~” into this input file in order to make it 12 fields datafile can have n number of records ex., a~b~c~d~12~r a~b~c~d~12~r a~b~c~d~12~r... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: LJJ
19 Replies
ucblinks(1B)                                         SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands                                         ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)