Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return code of command assigned to variable Post 302221559 by Annihilannic on Monday 4th of August 2008 08:10:12 PM
Old 08-04-2008
It should still be assigned to $?.

Code:
$ var1=`false`
$ echo $?
$ var1=`true`
$ echo $?
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to return a code from accessing variable file name

All I want to do is find out if the string 'NO' is in a file by checking for a return code of 0 if there is a match. The grep works fine on the command line directly naming the file but I am obviously not using the correct syntax within the shell script as I consistently get the error message ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusanDAC
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

COMPARING STRING VALUES TO A VARIABLE and return code dignostics

Hey Folks and Gurus there I am trying to replicate this logic in bash : (1) if ; then function1 parameters & function2 parameters & fi Is there an easy method esp one with regex that can do this comparision. e.g. $var is compared to this list ( case regardless ) (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sieger007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Command files when the output is assigned to a variable

Hi, i'm posting this in the Solaris forum although maybe it should be better in the General unix forum, I'm formatting an output witht he following command: crontab -l | grep GBOUAT8 | grep UTP | grep -i stop | sed 's/\\//' 08 2 * * 2-6 /apps/sum_glob/gbo_uat/sparse/bin/dmg_cronlaunch -ENVI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cvg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable value return of multiple command

I wrote this script #!/bin/bash var=`du -sch /var/log/messages;du -sch /var/log/maillog` echo $var I am getting result as follows. # sh my.sh 2.1M /var/log/messages 2.1M total 296K /var/log/maillog 296K total I need it like below 2.1M /var/log/messages 296K... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the return value of a command into a variable?

I want to store the return value of grep -c string filename into a variable, say count. How do I do that? For example if grep -c "string" "filename" shows 0 on executing it in the sh shell then I want to store this 0 in a variable. Is it possible? :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[SOLVED] Code does not run when assigned to a variable

I am more of a newbie, but wanted to post this in this forum as I was afraid no one would look at it in unix forums as it concerns shell scripting. I have a shell script that now runs fine with the exclusion of one line: x=`su nbadmin -c "ssh -t servery /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command assigned to a variable is failed or not having any data - error

Hi, My command is getting stuck while running it. observed that the grep command doesn't returned any data ($? was 1) and it failed. This command is assigned into the variable and used in other command as script progresses. To continue the script output, i have to press ^C twice and script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhii
2 Replies
GET_CLASS_VARS(3)							 1							 GET_CLASS_VARS(3)

get_class_vars - Get the default properties of the class

SYNOPSIS
array get_class_vars (string $class_name) DESCRIPTION
Get the default properties of the given class. PARAMETERS
o $class_name - The class name RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array of declared properties visible from the current scope, with their default value. The resulting array elements are in the form of varname => value. In case of an error, it returns FALSE. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.0.3 | | | | | | | get_class_vars(3) will only return the properties | | | that can be accessed from the current scope. | | | | | 5.0.2 | | | | | | | Calling get_class_vars(3) will now expose all | | | the properties as an array, unlike previous be- | | | haviour where protected and private properties | | | were prefixed with nul bytes. | | | | | 5.0.1 | | | | | | | Calling get_class_vars(3) will expose all prop- | | | erties, as when converting an object to a class. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 get_class_vars(3) example <?php class myclass { var $var1; // this has no default value... var $var2 = "xyz"; var $var3 = 100; private $var4; // constructor function myclass() { // change some properties $this->var1 = "foo"; $this->var2 = "bar"; return true; } } $my_class = new myclass(); $class_vars = get_class_vars(get_class($my_class)); foreach ($class_vars as $name => $value) { echo "$name : $value "; } ?> The above example will output: var1 : var2 : xyz var3 : 100 Example #2 get_class_vars(3) and scoping behaviour <?php function format($array) { return implode('|', array_keys($array)) . " "; } class TestCase { public $a = 1; protected $b = 2; private $c = 3; public static function expose() { echo format(get_class_vars(__CLASS__)); } } TestCase::expose(); echo format(get_class_vars('TestCase')); ?> The above example will output: // 5.0.0 a| * b| TestCase c a| * b| TestCase c // 5.0.1 - 5.0.2 a|b|c a|b|c // 5.0.3 + a|b|c a SEE ALSO
get_class_methods(3), get_object_vars(3). PHP Documentation Group GET_CLASS_VARS(3)