Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to replace a line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace a line Post 302221498 by ukatru on Monday 4th of August 2008 02:27:42 PM
Old 08-04-2008
How to replace a line

I have a line which starts with Default "heresometext" and i want to replace that line with Default "".

Can any one please give me how to acheive this.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace the first word of a line if it occurs again in the next line(shell)

Hi folks, have a look into the attachment, i am not familiar with unix, can you please help me in this regard. thanks in advance, :) regards, Geeko (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geeko
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with modified line in same file

i have few lines in a file... i am reading them in a while loop so a particular line is held is $line1.. consider a modified line is held in $line2.... i want to replace $line1 with $line2 in the same file... how to do it..? i have come up till the below code sed "s/$line1/$line2/g" tmpfile.sql... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a line using a condition and replace a string in that line

Hello, I have a 100 line code. I have given a sample of it below: ABC*654654*1*54.54*21.2*87*1*654654654654 CCC*FS*FS*SFD*DSF GGG*FGH*CGB*FBDFG*FGDG ABC*654654*1*57.84*45.4*88*2*6546546545 CCC*WSF*SG*FGH*GHJ ADA*AF*SFG*DFGH*FGH*FGTH I need to select the line starting with "ABC" its... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
6 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find a line using a condition and replace a string in that line

Hello, I have a 100 line code. I have given a sample of it below: ABC*654654*1*54.54*21.2*87*1*654654654654 CCC*FS*FS*SFD*DSF GGG*FGH*CGB*FBDFG*FGDG ABC*654654*1*57.84*45.4*88*2*6546546545 CCC*WSF*SG*FGH*GHJ ADA*AF*SFG*DFGH*FGH*FGTH I need to select the line starting with "ABC" its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values in script reading line by line using sed

Hi all, Let's say I have a script calling for the two variables PA_VALUE and PB_VALUE. for pa in PA_VALUE blah blah do for pb in PB_VALUE blah blah do I have a text file with two columns of values for PA and PB. 14.5 16.7 7.8 9.5 5.6 3.6 etc etc I would like to read this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsonengineer
7 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specifed size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks Treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=FILE use this FILE's size -s, --size=SIZE use this SIZE --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is a number which may be followed by one of the following suffixes: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: `+' extend by, `-' reduce by, `<' at most, `>' at least, `/' round down to multiple of, `%' round up to multiple of. Note that the -r and -s options are mutually exclusive. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
Report truncate bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 TRUNCATE(1)