Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Non Numeric Argument Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Non Numeric Argument Error Post 302221373 by Allenzo on Monday 4th of August 2008 10:18:37 AM
Old 08-04-2008
Thanks alot joeyg. You're the bomb. Pls can u suggest an ebook i can download and read on shell scripting that would be of immense benefit. I appreciate

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option

I want to figure out what is the reason of error message I have in Solaris 10. Why Solaris 10 dosn't recognize 65535? ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option usage: ps 'format' is one or more of: Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

non-numeric argument

quick question, I am trying to run this simple equation expr 2048 / 2.354 but get a "expr: non-numeric argument" error when ever its run. I believe it may be caused by the decimal point but I do not know how to remedy it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

First argument is numeric or not

Hi everyone, I want my script to check if the first argument has only numbers or not. Im not sure what im doing wrong. This is how it looks like: if *") ] then echo 'The first arguement should only be in numeric' 1>&2 exit 1 else exit 0 fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkhider
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric sort error

Hello all I have data like below where the column with values (PRI, SEC ) is the char field and the rest are Numeric Fields. 200707,9580,58,7,2,1,PRI,1,1,137,205594,0,5,10,-45.51,-45.51 200707,9580,58,7,2,1,SEC,1,1,137,205594,0,5,10,-45.51,45.51... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: non-numeric argument

Hi all, i am facing the error "expr: non-numeric argument" when i use the expr command. Following is the expression which i want to execute HR=$(echo `date +%H`) MIN=$(echo `date +%M`) TOT_MIN=`expr "$HR" \* 60+$MIN` | bc echo $TOT_MIN Here I am being reported with the error expr:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric argument required

Hi, How to return the string "y" to the calling function. Getting the below error when function returns the value. return: y: numeric argument required With Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
LWP-DOWNLOAD(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)

NAME
lwp-download - Fetch large files from the web SYNOPSIS
lwp-download [-a] [-s] <url> [<local path>] DESCRIPTION
The lwp-download program will save the file at url to a local file. If local path is not specified, then the current directory is assumed. If local path is a directory, then the last segment of the path of the url is appended to form a local filename. If the url path ends with slash the name "index" is used. With the -s option pick up the last segment of the filename from server provided sources like the Content- Disposition header or any redirect URLs. A file extension to match the server reported Content-Type might also be appended. If a file with the produced filename already exists, then lwp-download will prompt before it overwrites and will fail if its standard input is not a terminal. This form of invocation will also fail is no acceptable filename can be derived from the sources mentioned above. If local path is not a directory, then it is simply used as the path to save into. If the file already exists it's overwritten. The lwp-download program is implemented using the libwww-perl library. It is better suited to down load big files than the lwp-request program because it does not store the file in memory. Another benefit is that it will keep you updated about its progress and that you don't have much options to worry about. Use the "-a" option to save the file in text (ascii) mode. Might make a difference on dosish systems. EXAMPLE
Fetch the newest and greatest perl version: $ lwp-download http://www.perl.com/CPAN/src/latest.tar.gz Saving to 'latest.tar.gz'... 11.4 MB received in 8 seconds (1.43 MB/sec) AUTHOR
Gisle Aas <gisle@aas.no> perl v5.16.2 2012-01-13 LWP-DOWNLOAD(1)