Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Non Numeric Argument Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Non Numeric Argument Error Post 302221373 by Allenzo on Monday 4th of August 2008 10:18:37 AM
Old 08-04-2008
Thanks alot joeyg. You're the bomb. Pls can u suggest an ebook i can download and read on shell scripting that would be of immense benefit. I appreciate

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option

I want to figure out what is the reason of error message I have in Solaris 10. Why Solaris 10 dosn't recognize 65535? ps: 65535 is an invalid non-numeric argument for -p option usage: ps 'format' is one or more of: Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

non-numeric argument

quick question, I am trying to run this simple equation expr 2048 / 2.354 but get a "expr: non-numeric argument" error when ever its run. I believe it may be caused by the decimal point but I do not know how to remedy it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiredOrangeCat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

First argument is numeric or not

Hi everyone, I want my script to check if the first argument has only numbers or not. Im not sure what im doing wrong. This is how it looks like: if *") ] then echo 'The first arguement should only be in numeric' 1>&2 exit 1 else exit 0 fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkhider
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric sort error

Hello all I have data like below where the column with values (PRI, SEC ) is the char field and the rest are Numeric Fields. 200707,9580,58,7,2,1,PRI,1,1,137,205594,0,5,10,-45.51,-45.51 200707,9580,58,7,2,1,SEC,1,1,137,205594,0,5,10,-45.51,45.51... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: non-numeric argument

Hi all, i am facing the error "expr: non-numeric argument" when i use the expr command. Following is the expression which i want to execute HR=$(echo `date +%H`) MIN=$(echo `date +%M`) TOT_MIN=`expr "$HR" \* 60+$MIN` | bc echo $TOT_MIN Here I am being reported with the error expr:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric argument required

Hi, How to return the string "y" to the calling function. Getting the below error when function returns the value. return: y: numeric argument required With Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
DWARF_SETERRARG(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					DWARF_SETERRARG(3)

NAME
dwarf_seterrarg, dwarf_seterrhand -- configure error handling LIBRARY
DWARF Access Library (libdwarf, -ldwarf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libdwarf.h> Dwarf_Ptr dwarf_seterrarg(Dwarf_Debug dbg, Dwarf_Ptr arg); Dwarf_Handler dwarf_seterrhand(Dwarf_Debug dbg, Dwarf_Handler handler); DESCRIPTION
These functions may be used by applications to configure error handling callbacks. The error handling scheme used by the library is described in dwarf(3). Function dwarf_seterrarg() may be used to set the callback argument passed to a configured error handler at the time it is invoked. Argument arg is the callback argument being set. Argument dbg can be a debug context allocated by a prior call to dwarf_init(3), or can be NULL to indicate that the library-wide callback argument is to be set. Function dwarf_seterrhand() may be used to associate an error handler denoted by argument handler with the DWARF debug context descriptor denoted by argument dbg. Argument dbg should be a debug context allocated by a prior call to dwarf_init(3), or may be NULL to indicate that the library-wide error handler is to be set. RETURN VALUES
Function dwarf_seterrhand() returns the previous error handler associated with argument dbg. If argument dbg is NULL, function dwarf_seterrhand() returns the previous library-wide error handler. Function dwarf_seterrarg() returns the previous callback argument associated with argument dbg. If argument dbg is NULL, function dwarf_seterrarg() returns the previous library-wide callback argument. COMPATIBILITY
The behavior of these functions when argument dbg is NULL is a local extension. ERRORS
These functions do not set an error code. SEE ALSO
dwarf(3), dwarf_init(3) BSD
May 01, 2010 BSD