Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Patterns in Filenames
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Patterns in Filenames Post 302220826 by dcfargo on Friday 1st of August 2008 04:44:35 PM
Old 08-01-2008
I think you'll need to do && for the two operations e.g.

if (2 < substr($1, 6, 3) && substr($1, 6, 3) < 11)

I'm also not certain its going to handle the 011 and 001 values correctly

I'd be tempted to just hammer it like:

ls -1| awk '{ if (substr($1, 6, 3) == "001" || substr($1, 6, 3) == "002" || substr($1, 6, 3) == "003" || ...) print $1 }'

Someone must know a good way to do this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

I have a problem with the script below #!/bin/sh for vo in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex "^\./*$"` do ls -l "$vo" some other commands done It works fine until `find ...` returns files with spaces. I've tryed to change IFS but haven't succeed Any solutions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parsing filenames

How can I loose a part of the filename I want to drop the “_<Number>.sql” Below I have a listing of file names in a file Eg : CREDIT_DEL_033333.sql I want it to be CREDIT_DEL ATM_DEBIT_CARD_0999999.sql I want it to be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

4. AIX

filemon with no filenames...

i excuted filemon with filemon -u -o /tmp/filemon.out -O all;sleep 60; trcstop. everything is ok, but i only get PID for filenames in Most Active Files. is there any different flags i need to use to get filenames? Code tags please, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtis911
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get filenames from log

Hi. I'm trying to get the names of files from a log file, without the path and special characters. I have a file that contains lines like this: '/path/to/files/file00010000070874.EXT' '/path/to/files/file00010000070875.EXT' '/path/to/files/file00010000070876.EXT'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hekm
4 Replies

6. Slackware

cp does not like filenames with accents?

Hi: mkisofs -graft-points -rational-rock -joliet -joliet-long -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -o /tmp/image.iso STORE1/=/almacen/strauss In /almacen/strauss there are filenames containing not only spaces but accented characters as well. I burned the image to DVD, with the result that all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stf92
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename Filenames

Hi there I have thousands files like: SG1130113000247.CAPNFXS SG1130113001247.CAPNFXT SG1130113002247.CAPNFXU . . . I want to remove SG1 and .CAP* from file name, and rename it to: 130113000247 130113001247 130113002247 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sort the filenames

Hello Unix experts: I have dir where few files are there, i want to sort these files and write the output to some other file but i need filenames with filepath too eg: i have filenames like 010020001_S-FOR-Sort-SYEXC_20171218_094256_0004.txt so i want to sort my files on first 5 fields of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
2 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 bytes(3pm)