Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Patterns in Filenames
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Patterns in Filenames Post 302220767 by msb65 on Friday 1st of August 2008 02:26:47 PM
Old 08-01-2008
Patterns in Filenames

Hi,

To start, I am using a bash shell on a G4 powerbook running Leopard. I am attempting to write a shell script that will automate the processing of satellite imagery. All the filenames are of the following construction:

A2008196000500.L2

where A indicates the sensor, the next four digits represent the year, the next three represent the julian day, and the remaining represent the hour, minute, and second of observation. All I am interested in are the three digits that specify the julian day, so my filenames are effectively:

?????ddd*.L2 (note it's not enough to say *ddd*, as the three digits of the julian day can match patterns in the rest of the filename)

The julian days of my files range from 001 to 366. I would like to be able to list all the files with julian days that range between two different values (ex all the files between julian day 3 and 10). How do I do this? It's not enough to type:

ls ?????[003-010]*.L2

Any help is greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

I have a problem with the script below #!/bin/sh for vo in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex "^\./*$"` do ls -l "$vo" some other commands done It works fine until `find ...` returns files with spaces. I've tryed to change IFS but haven't succeed Any solutions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parsing filenames

How can I loose a part of the filename I want to drop the “_<Number>.sql” Below I have a listing of file names in a file Eg : CREDIT_DEL_033333.sql I want it to be CREDIT_DEL ATM_DEBIT_CARD_0999999.sql I want it to be ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

4. AIX

filemon with no filenames...

i excuted filemon with filemon -u -o /tmp/filemon.out -O all;sleep 60; trcstop. everything is ok, but i only get PID for filenames in Most Active Files. is there any different flags i need to use to get filenames? Code tags please, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtis911
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get filenames from log

Hi. I'm trying to get the names of files from a log file, without the path and special characters. I have a file that contains lines like this: '/path/to/files/file00010000070874.EXT' '/path/to/files/file00010000070875.EXT' '/path/to/files/file00010000070876.EXT'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hekm
4 Replies

6. Slackware

cp does not like filenames with accents?

Hi: mkisofs -graft-points -rational-rock -joliet -joliet-long -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -o /tmp/image.iso STORE1/=/almacen/strauss In /almacen/strauss there are filenames containing not only spaces but accented characters as well. I burned the image to DVD, with the result that all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stf92
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename Filenames

Hi there I have thousands files like: SG1130113000247.CAPNFXS SG1130113001247.CAPNFXT SG1130113002247.CAPNFXU . . . I want to remove SG1 and .CAP* from file name, and rename it to: 130113000247 130113001247 130113002247 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sort the filenames

Hello Unix experts: I have dir where few files are there, i want to sort these files and write the output to some other file but i need filenames with filepath too eg: i have filenames like 010020001_S-FOR-Sort-SYEXC_20171218_094256_0004.txt so i want to sort my files on first 5 fields of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
2 Replies
ost::Date(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      ost::Date(3)

NAME
ost::Date - The Date class uses a julian date representation of the current year, month, and day. SYNOPSIS
#include <numbers.h> Inherited by ost::DateNumber, and ost::Datetime. Public Member Functions Date (time_t tm) Date (tm *dt) Date (char *str, size_t size=0) Date (int year, unsigned month, unsigned day) Date () virtual ~Date () int getYear (void) const unsigned getMonth (void) const unsigned getDay (void) const unsigned getDayOfWeek (void) const char * getDate (char *buffer) const time_t getDate (void) const time_t getDate (tm *buf) const long getValue (void) const void setDate (const char *str, size_t size=0) bool isValid (void) const operator long () const String operator() () const Date & operator++ () Date & operator-- () Date & operator+= (const long val) Date & operator-= (const long val) int operator== (const Date &date) int operator!= (const Date &date) int operator< (const Date &date) int operator<= (const Date &date) int operator> (const Date &date) int operator>= (const Date &date) bool operator! () const Protected Member Functions void toJulian (long year, long month, long day) void fromJulian (char *buf) const virtual void update (void) A method to use to 'post' any changed values when shadowing a mixed object class. Protected Attributes long julian Friends Date operator+ (const Date &date, const long val) Date operator- (const Date &date, const long val) Date operator+ (const long val, const Date &date) Date operator- (const long val, const Date &date) Detailed Description The Date class uses a julian date representation of the current year, month, and day. This is then manipulated in several forms and may be exported as needed. Author: David Sugar dyfet@ostel.com julian number based date class. Constructor &; Destructor Documentation ost::Date::Date (time_ttm) ost::Date::Date (tm *dt) ost::Date::Date (char *str, size_tsize = 0) ost::Date::Date (intyear, unsignedmonth, unsignedday) ost::Date::Date () virtual ost::Date::~Date () [virtual] Member Function Documentation void ost::Date::fromJulian (char *buf) const [protected] char* ost::Date::getDate (char *buffer) const time_t ost::Date::getDate (void) const time_t ost::Date::getDate (tm *buf) const unsigned ost::Date::getDay (void) const unsigned ost::Date::getDayOfWeek (void) const unsigned ost::Date::getMonth (void) const long ost::Date::getValue (void) const int ost::Date::getYear (void) const bool ost::Date::isValid (void) const Reimplemented in ost::Datetime. ost::Date::operator long () const [inline] bool ost::Date::operator! (void) const [inline] Reimplemented in ost::Datetime. int ost::Date::operator!= (const Date &date) String ost::Date::operator() () const Date& ost::Date::operator++ () Date& ost::Date::operator+= (const longval) Date& ost::Date::operator-- () Date& ost::Date::operator-= (const longval) int ost::Date::operator< (const Date &date) int ost::Date::operator<= (const Date &date) int ost::Date::operator== (const Date &date) int ost::Date::operator> (const Date &date) int ost::Date::operator>= (const Date &date) void ost::Date::setDate (const char *str, size_tsize = 0) void ost::Date::toJulian (longyear, longmonth, longday) [protected] virtual void ost::Date::update (void) [protected], [virtual] A method to use to 'post' any changed values when shadowing a mixed object class. This is used by DateNumber. Reimplemented in ost::DateNumber. Friends And Related Function Documentation Date operator+ (const Date &date, const longval) [friend] Date operator+ (const longval, const Date &date) [friend] Date operator- (const Date &date, const longval) [friend] Date operator- (const longval, const Date &date) [friend] Member Data Documentation long ost::Date::julian [protected] Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for GNU CommonC++ from the source code. GNU CommonC++ Sat Jun 23 2012 ost::Date(3)