Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple script problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple script problem Post 302220666 by era on Friday 1st of August 2008 10:48:29 AM
Old 08-01-2008
You should still use backticks for VAR1, too (ASCII 96, not regular apostrophes).

I was under the impression that the OP really did want to compare against the contents of the file, not the date on which the file was actually changed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ksh script problem

This is a search script that I have developed. It finds the records that I look for. However the only thing I want the program to do now is to display a message such as 'Not Found' to appear when a record is not found. So far when a search doesn't display a record, the screen is blank. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Warrior232
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple shell script problem

hi all. i have a little problem. im basically reading input from the user from the keyboard into the variable "phonenumber". I want to do a little error check to check if the user doesnt enter anything in for the value phonenumber. i had this: read phonenumber if then ..... else ........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djt0506
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

one simple shell script problem

Hi everyone, I am facing to one shell script problem, which is as following Write a shell script that: Takes a number of arguments. For each argument, print out all files in the current directory that contain this substring in their name. I know I need to use grep for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaloovia
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple AWK script problem.

Hi all, I have set up a simple awk script to calculate the average of values that are printed out a number of times per second (the number of time the printing occurs varies). The data is of the format shown below: 1 4.43 1 3.65 1 2.45 2 7.65 2 8.23 2 5.65 3 4.65 3 6.21 .. .. 120... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnomtac
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple script with while loop getting problem

Hello forum memebers. can you correct the simple while program. #! /bin/ksh count=10 while do echo $count count='expr$count-1' done I think it will print 10 to 1 numbers but it running for indefinite times. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash script problem

#!/bin/bash cd /media/disk-2 Running ./run.sh it's not changing directory.Why? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[newb] simple script, big problem

Warning! I'm ridiculously new at all this, so pardon my ignorance... I have a very simple script which is intended to search a hosts file when given a partial hostanme or ip address. The if the partial hostname/ip given is unique, the script automatically logs the user in to that host. If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itomb
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script (simple problem)

I want to find and replace string from files present in one directory. user will input the string to be searched and to replace . Here is my program but Not working echo "Enter Old domain name:" read old echo "Enter New domain name:" read new grep -rl '$old' /var/www/ | xargs sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny2802
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - sftp simple script problem

Hello, when running the scripts below I am not getting message bb2. Can you please help? #!/bin/bash TLOG=/tmp/bb/amatest.log FTPRESULTS=/tmp/bb/amlist export TLOG FTPRESULTS >$TLOG >$FTPRESULTS echo bb1 sftp -oPort=2222 XXXXXXXXXXXXX@sftp.userssedi.com <<EOF cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: biljana
5 Replies
BTRACEBACK(1)					     Network backup, recovery and verification					     BTRACEBACK(1)

NAME
btraceback - wrapper script around gdb and bsmtp SYNOPSIS
btraceback /path/to/binary pid DESCRIPTION
btraceback is a wrapper shell script around the gdb debugger (or dbx on Solaris systems) and bsmtp, provided for debugging purposes. USAGE
btraceback is called by the exception handlers of the Bacula daemons during a crash. It can also be called interactively to view the cur- rent state of the threads belonging to a process, but this is not recommended unless you are trying to debug a problem (see below). NOTES
In order to work properly, debugging symbols must be available to the debugger on the system, and gdb, or dbx (on Solaris systems) must be available in the $PATH. If the Director or Storage daemon runs under a non-root uid, you will probably need to be modify the btraceback script to elevate privi- leges for the call to gdb/dbx, to ensure it has the proper permissions to debug when called by the daemon. Although Bacula's use of btraceback within its exception handlers is always safe, manual or interactive use of btraceback is subject to the same risks than live debugging of any program, which means it could cause Bacula to crash under rare and abnormal circumstances. Conse- quently we do not recommend manual use of btraceback in production environments unless it is required for debugging a problem. ENVIRONMENT
btracback relies on $PATH to find the debugger. FILES
/usr/lib/bacula/btraceback The script itself. /usr/sbin/btraceback symbolic link to /usr/lib/bacula/btraceback /etc/bacula/scripts/btraceback.gdb the GDB command batch used to output a stack trace AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Lucas B. Cohen <lbc@members.fsf.org> SEE ALSO
bsmtp(1) Kern Sibbald 6 December 2009 BTRACEBACK(1)