Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substituting variables from external files Post 302220368 by oneillc9 on Thursday 31st of July 2008 01:09:48 PM
Old 07-31-2008
Substituting variables from external files

Hi All,

I have the following problem:

1. I have a file containing a line:
a,b,d,${d},e,f

2. From within a script I grep the file for '^a,' to get the line
3. I obtain the fourth field as follows:
Field4="$( print -r $fileEntry | cut -d, -f4 )"
4. The script exports variables at the beginning including ${d}

How do I get ${Field4} to contain the substituted variable ${d} instead of the literal '${d}'

I hope this is clear, I am happy to explain anything if I am talking jibberish.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

substituting shell variables

I have a script run_batch.sh as below :- PAR_VALIDATION=val_siconf PAR_RUN_LEVEL=1 PAR_EXCLUSIVE_RUN_YN=Y DATABASE_USER="/@"$TWO_TASK sqlplus -s $DATABASE_USER |& print -p -- 'set feed off pause off pages 0 head off veri off line 500' print -p -- 'set term off time off... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suds19
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include external files in tcsh

Hello Simple question about tcsh , i like to make external file that some tcsh script will read from him var=="some value" how can i make the include in tcsh files? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse config variables from external file to shell script

How do i use a config.txt to recursively pass a set of variables to a shell script eg my config.txt looks like this : path=c://dataset/set1 v1= a.bin v2= b.bin path=c://dataset/set2 v1= xy.bin v2= abc.bin .................. and so on . and my testscript : (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradsh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - arithemetic functions with external variables

I'm trying to get awk to do arithmetic functions with external variables and I'm getting an error that I cannot figure out how to fix. Insight would be appreciated money=$1 rate1=$(awk -F"\t " '/'$converting'/{print $3}' convert.table) rate2=$(awk -F"\t"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DKNUCKLES
2 Replies

5. Programming

JAVA - External JAR files in UNIX

Hi, I have to run my JAVA programs in UNIX server. The java program uses some external jar files for compiling. I have set the classpath to the folder where all the jar files are present using EXPORT classpath command. But when i compile, it shows errors.. saying that the classes relating... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading external variables does not work

... declare vINIFILE vINIFILE=$1 ... echo "The name of the File is $vINIFILE" >>mail_tmp echo "" >> mail_tmp.$$ ... grep RUNJOB=0 $vINIFILE >>tmp_filter ... So the strange is in echo-statement I get the correct output for $vINIFILE wrtitten into the file mail_tmp. But the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing external files

I am running Matlab in a unix enviroment and in my Matlab program I am calling an outside program (mav) to run with a unix command in Matlab: unix('mav -u 5 -c 1 -s') My goal is to edit the input files (three different files) for that external program and then run that external program... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: heatona
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to external variables from awk

Hello I have a text file with the next pattern Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 Name,Year,Grade1,Grade2,Grade3 I want to assign to external variables the grades using the awk method. After i read the file line by line in order to get the grades i use this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spleshmen
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting vars from external files

Hi I have an issue, I want to get variables from an external file. Variable file var1=test var2-test2 I want to get these vars from another shell script. Does any one know how? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ?

I wrote a very simple script to understand how to call user-defined functions from within awk after reading this post. function my_func_local { echo "In func $1" } export -f my_func_local echo $1 | awk -F"/" '{for (k=1;k<=NF;k++) { if ($k == "a" ) { system("my_local_func $k") } else{... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
19 Replies
MAKESH(1)						      General Commands Manual							 MAKESH(1)

NAME
makeSH - a .SH script maker SYNOPSIS
makeSH files DESCRIPTION
MakeSH examines one or more scripts and produces a .SH file that, when run under sh, will produce the original script. The .SH script so produced has two sections containing code destined for the output. The first section has variable substitutions performed on it (taking values from config.sh), while the second section does not. MakeSH does not know which variables you want to have substituted, so it puts the whole script into the second section. It's up to you to insert any variable substitutions in the first section for any values you want from config.sh. You should run makeSH from within your top-level directory and use the relative path to the file as an argument, so that the "Extracting ..." line printed while running the produced .SH file later on will give that same path. AUTHOR
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> SEE ALSO
pat(1), metaconfig(1), makedist(1). BUGS
It could assume that variables from metaconfig's Glossary need to be initialized in the first section, but I'm too lazy to make it do that. LOCAL MAKESH(1)