Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Running from Shell Vs running from RC script Post 302220280 by incredible on Thursday 31st of July 2008 08:58:53 AM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell script not running

I am sorry, this is really trivial, yet I am not able to understand what the problem is! I am using korn shell and running this script #!/bin/ksh keep=3 while ; do echo $keep keep=$(($keep-1)) done I am getting this error: `keep=$' unexpected I am not able to understand it because ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Asty
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Shell Script from Java

Hi How can I call a .sh (shell script) from a java procedure? Is this possible at all? Please tell me. Thanks. Asty (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asty
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell script not running

Dear Friends, OS: REDHAT ENTERPRISE LINUX ,nash version I am facing a peculier type of problem.A bash script ran yesterday does not run successfully today . Absolutely giving NO OUTPUT AT ALL. We have migrated recently from redhat linux 9 to REDHAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 4.4 recently .What... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a shell script from another

hi, I have 2 k-shell script a1.sh and T1.sh. I m running T1.sh from a1.sh and passing variable "i" to T1.sh.But i m getting error output. a1.sh ----------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh cd /ednadtu3/u01/pipe/logs for i in Cleaner2 Cleaner1 do count=0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a shell script

sometimes while running a shell script we use ksh -c '....script' what is the significance of ksh -c here .... what if i run the script only.what is the difference (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tell which shell is running a script

I've been searching for a while and haven't found this answer anywhere. How can I tell which shell is running my script from within the script? For example, I have lots of older scripts that we are porting to a new Linux system. Many of the scripts start with ":" alone on a line, which I think... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbaker
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a script in korn shell

I'm learning bash and have discovered that the shell can only work with integers and not decimals. I'd like to run my scripts in korn to account for this, but just now, when I tried to run my script, I got an error message that said 'no such file or directory,' even though when I'm in the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script Not Running

Hi , I Am Getting The Following Error When Executing Shell Script E32 :No File This Are Steps I Have Done For Running The . 1) VI Command So It Opened Vi Editor 2) VI FILENAME.KSH In The File I Have Written A Program Like Below #!/bin/ksh echo date 3):WQ For Quit And Save.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running C++ like shell script

i found the following code off the web. its suppose to read large log files, efficiently. but i dont have an idea of how to run it. i know its C and you need to "compile". how do i compile it? and is it really necessary to compile? /* ** File FILE_3.C ** ** Illustrates how to read from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script is not running

Hi, when iam running below command it is executing fine on my linux command prompt. java -jar Efile.jar but the same command iam using in Shell script it doesnt work and saying error Unable to access jar files. Flavour is Linux Redhat. pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
1 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)