Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting removing duplicate blank lines Post 302220271 by aigles on Thursday 31st of July 2008 08:39:13 AM
Old 07-31-2008
I should read again the man pages for the commands most used

Smilie
On my AIX box, I must use -r or -S
Quote:
-r Replaces multiple consecutive empty lines with one empty line. This flag is
identical to the -S flag.

-s Does not display a message if the cat command cannot find an input file. This
flag is identical to the -q flag.

Note: Previously, the -s flag handled tasks now assigned to the -S flag.

-S Replaces multiple consecutive empty lines with one empty line. This flag is
identical to the -r flag.
Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicate lines from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove duplicate lines from a file. For example the contents of example.txt is: this is a test 2342 this is a test 34343 this is a test 43434 and i want to remove the "this is a test" lines only and end up with the numbers in the file, that is, end up with: 2342... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Blank Lines

Hi i have the below lines from a file 7538 PRGRP450800PERSONAL SOAP AND BATH ADDITIV 7036 PRGRP450800PERSONAL SOAP AND BATH ADDITIV 7036 PRGRP450800PERSONAL SOAP AND BATH ADDITIV 7036... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the duplicate lines in a file

Hi, I need to concatenate three files in to one destination file.In this if some duplicate data occurs it should be deleted. eg: file1: ----- data1 value1 data2 value2 data3 value3 file2: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 data5 value5 file3: ----- data1 value1 data4 value4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from string (not duplicate lines)

please help me in getting following: Input Desired output x="foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo foo" foo x="foo abc foo" foo abc x="foo foo1 foo2" foo foo1 foo2 I need to remove duplicated from string.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: removing blank lines from multiple files

Hi Guru's , I have a whole bunch of files in /var/tmp that i need to strip any blank lines from, so ive written the following script to identify the lines (which works perfectly).. but i wanted to know, how can I actually strip the identified lines from the actual source files ?? my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicate Lines per Section

Hello, I am in need of removing duplicate lines from within a file per section. File: ABC1 012345 header ABC2 7890-000 ABC3 012345 Header Table ABC4 ABC5 593.0000 587.4800 ABC5 593.5000 587.6580 <= dup need to remove ABC5 593.5000 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing blank lines in a file

Hi I have a text file that has blank lines at different places. How to remove all the blank lines in a file? Thanks Ashok (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing blank lines not working

In my bash script I want to echo lines in a file and ensure no blank lines are echoed:for i in $(cat txt) do echo $i | sed 's/|/ /g;s/ SEARCHTERM$//g;s/ /\r\n/g;s/^$/d' done Keep in mind this is a fragment so ignore the fact that the for loop is not closed. When I add the "s/^$/d' per... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from a file

Hi All, How do i remove continuos blank lines from a file. I have a file with data: abc; def; ghi; jkl; mno; pqr; In the above file, there are two blank lines. I want to remove, one out of them. My output should look like: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines

Hi, my input file is like this I want to remove the blank line. "/home/rit/sandbox/garuda/data/test/woman/T_RITK_F0008_ML_100080039.lab" r a N e l a k sh a m . "/home/rit/sandbox/garuda/data/test/woman/T_RITK_F0008_ML_100070453.lab" a v a s (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
4 Replies
sccsfile(5)							File Formats Manual						       sccsfile(5)

Name
       sccsfile - format of SCCS file

Description
       An  SCCS  file  is  an  ASCII file that consists of six logical parts.  These six parts include checksum, delta table (contains information
       about each delta), user names (contains login names and/or numerical group IDs of users who may add deltas), flags (contains definitions of
       internal  keywords),  comments (contains arbitrary descriptive information about the file), and body (contains the actual text lines inter-
       mixed with control lines).

Throughout an SCCS file there are lines that begin with the ASCII SOH (start of heading) character (octal 001).	This  character  is  here-
       after  referred	to as the control character and will be represented graphically as @.  Any line described that is not shown beginning with
       the control character is prevented from beginning with the control character.

Entries of the form represent a 5-digit string number between 00000 and 99999.

The logical parts of an SCCS file, described in detail, are:

Checksum
	      The checksum is the first line of an SCCS file.  The form of the line is:
	      @hDDDDD

The value of the checksum is the sum of all characters, except those of the first line.  The provides a magic  number    of  (octal)

Delta table
	      The delta table consists of a variable number of entries of the form:
	      @s DDDDD/DDDDD/DDDDD
	      @d <type> <SCCS ID> yr/mo/da hr:mi:se <pgmr> DDDDD DDDDD
	      @i DDDDD ...
	      @x DDDDD ...
	      @g DDDDD ...
	      @m <MR number>
	      @c <comment> ...
	      @e

The first line contains the number of lines inserted/deleted/unchanged, respectively.  The second line contains the type of the delta (nor-
       mal: and removed: the SCCS ID of the delta, the date and time of creation of the delta, the login name corresponding to the real user ID at
       the time the delta was created, and the serial numbers of the delta and its predecessor, respectively.

The  and  lines	contain  the serial numbers of deltas included, excluded, and ignored, respectively.  These lines are optional.  The lines
       (optional) each contain one number associated with the delta.  The lines contain comments associated with the delta.

The line ends the delta table entry.

User names
	      The list of login names and numerical group ID of users who may add deltas to the file, separated by newlines.  The lines containing
	      these login names and numerical group ID are surrounded by the bracketing lines and An empty list allows anyone to make a delta.

Flags
	      Keywords used internally.  See for more information on their use.  Each flag line takes the form:

@f <flag> <optional text>

The following flags are defined:
	      @f t <type of program>
	      @f v <program name>
	      @f i
	      @f b
	      @f m <module name>
	      @f f <floor>
	      @f c <ceiling>
	      @f d <default-sid>
	      @f n
	      @f j
	      @f l <lock-releases>
	      @f q <user defined>
	      @f z <reserved for use in interfaces>

The flag defines the replacement for the identification keyword.

The  flag controls prompting for numbers, in addition to comments.  If the optional text is present, it defines an number-validity checking
       program.

The flag controls the warning/error aspect of the ``No id keywords'' message.  When the flag is not present, this message is only  a  warn-
       ing; when the flag is present, this message will cause a fatal error (the file will not be retrieved or the delta will not be made).

When the flag is present, the option can be specified with the command to cause a branch in the delta tree.

The flag defines the first choice for the replacement text of the identification keyword.

The flag defines the ``floor'' release: the release below which no deltas may be added.

The flag defines the ``ceiling'' release: the release above which no deltas may be added.

The flag defines the default SID to be used when none is specified on a command.

The flag causes delta to insert a null delta (a delta that applies no changes) in those releases that are skipped when a delta is made in a
       new release. For example, when delta 5.1 is made after delta 2.7, releases 3 and 4 are skipped.	The absence of	the  flag  causes  skipped
       releases to be completely empty.

The flag causes to allow concurrent edits of the same base I.

The flag defines a list of releases that are locked against editing with the option.

The flag defines the replacement for the identification keyword.

The flag is used in certain specialized interface programs.

Comments
	      Arbitrary text surrounded by the bracketing lines and The comments section typically contains a description of the file's purpose.

Body
	      The body consists of text lines and control lines.  Text lines do not begin with the control character; control lines do.  There are
	      three kinds of control lines: insert, delete, and end, represented by the following:
	      @I DDDDD
	      @D DDDDD
	      @E DDDDD

The digit string is the serial number corresponding to the delta for the control line.

See Also
       (1), delta(1), get(1), prs(1), sccs(1)
       An Introduction to the Source Code Control System,
       Eric Allman, Supplementary Documentation, Vol. II.

sccsfile(5)