Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Duplicate postings when following up on a thread Post 302220172 by Neo on Thursday 31st of July 2008 04:13:42 AM
Old 07-31-2008
I spend many hours hunting down hungry, rogue spiders in the log files. I found many spiders not obeying robots.txt, so I blocked their network completely.

Maybe we will see some improvement before the upgrade, but I am not confident we will see much, since the bot traffic is very small compared to the Google search referral traffic.

Also, I spend many hours trying various MySQL and Apache configurations and tuning parameters, but that did not result in any tangible improvements and, in some cases, trying to add or allocate more resources just made it worse. For example, we were getting some errors because Apache needed more than 250 concurrent servers. I tried changing this to 350 and the load average when to over 350 (!!) during peak time, crushing the server.

Obviously, when we upgrade, traffic will greatly increase again. This is great, thanks to all of your super posts, great expertise, helping others help themselves.

Thank you for your patience during this phase of our growing pains!

As a side note, I am amazed at the number of spiders that roam the internet these days; and from all over the world. It seems everyone wants to be the next Google. I even noticed that two of the spiders were operating out of the new Amazon Elastic Computing Cloud (EC2).

Now I have a new security topic to write about, something like:

The Attack of the Cyberspiders from the Clouds !!!

You have to love life on the net Smilie

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending output to a file - Merged from duplicate thread

Hi All, read dif echo `date +%Y%m%d`|./add $dif|./fmtdt %mon%dd The above script is for adding days to current date to find the new date. This script divides the current date into 20060220(YYYYMMDD) format and pass this output to add script. The add script will add the days to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthu_nix
2 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

How to do postings

Hi All, Can you pls help me out on how to do new posting on this forum. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SGReddy
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Change in display of date of postings

I would like to propose to change the display of dates in the postings, which is currently mm-dd-yy. To avoid ambiguity, I would like to propose dd-Mmm-yyyy. Thank you for your anticipated consideration. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Date stamp on thread postings.

Is it possible to have the actual date shown, instead of phrases like "1 Week Ago", on threads list of postings? If possible, how do I enable that? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Svenus
0 Replies
Apache::Session::Flex(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Apache::Session::Flex(3pm)

NAME
Apache::Session::Flex - Specify everything at runtime SYNOPSIS
use Apache::Session::Flex; tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Flex', $id, { Store => 'DB_File', Lock => 'Null', Generate => 'MD5', Serialize => 'Storable' }; # or tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Flex', $id, { Store => 'Postgres', Lock => 'Null', Generate => 'MD5', Serialize => 'Base64' }; # you decide! DESCRIPTION
This module is an implementation of Apache::Session. Unlike other implementations, it allows you to specify the backing store, locking scheme, ID generator, and data serializer at runtime. You do this by passing arguments in the usual Apache::Session style (see SYNOPSIS). You may use any of the modules included in this distribution, or a module of your own making. If you wish to use a module of your own making, you should make sure that it is available under the Apache::Session package namespace. USAGE
You pass the modules you want to use as arguments to the constructor. The Apache::Session::Whatever part is appended for you: you should not supply it. For example, if you wanted to use MySQL as the backing store, you should give the argument "Store =" 'MySQL'>, and not "Store =" 'Apache::Session::Store::MySQL'>. There are four modules that you need to specify. Store is the backing store to use. Lock is the locking scheme. Generate is the ID generation module. Serialize is the data serialization module. There are many modules included in this distribution. For each role, they are: Store: MySQL Postgres DB_File File Lock: Null MySQL Semaphore Generate: MD5 Serialize: Storable Base64 UUEncode In addition to the arguments needed by this module, you must provide whatever arguments are expected by the backing store and lock manager that you are using. Please see the documentation for those modules. AUTHOR
This module was written by Jeffrey William Baker <jwbaker@acm.org>. SEE ALSO
Apache::Session::File, Apache::Session::DB_File, Apache::Session::MySQL, Apache::Session::Postgres, Apache::Session perl v5.10.1 2010-10-18 Apache::Session::Flex(3pm)