Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue while storing grep result Post 302220141 by era on Thursday 31st of July 2008 02:20:17 AM
Old 07-31-2008
Add double quotes around the variable name to avoid wildcard expansion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To have a numeric result from grep

I am new to unix. i need to know how to use grep to grep and expression from a file. and pass the result as a 0 for found and 1 for not found. I can only go up to grep 'Checking Subscription Status' ranos.log. Please help. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hak Dee
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem storing SSH result in a variable

i have this SSH command which runs perfectly on command prompt in sunOS ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server} find ${dir_path} -name '***' output : /usr/local/home/*** My problem is when i run same command in my script #!/usr/bin/ksh res=`ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash184u
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing result of a command in variable

For whatever reason I cant seem to fix my syntax to do the following. I want to run a grep and count how many instances come up and store that number in a variable but I keep erroring out. Here's my code in bash: number=grep blah file.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe result from grep

Trying to create a command line script to look for all files matching a pattern, grep for a specific value in each file, and write out the filename long list. It's possible the filename won't containe the value. { echo “Running....” for fname in 811_Intermediate_File_* do grep -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavineq
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching & storing result in variable

Hi! i'm trying to parse textfiles against a pattern and storing the result in a variable. The strings i want to get are embraced by and can occur several times in one line, so e.g. some text anything else endwhat i have so far: #!/bin/bash for f in $* do exec 3<&0 exec 0<$f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoni
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing Grep Files into Var and comparing it

Hi, I was working on the password policy settings of Solaris where i wanted to grep the results of MINDIFF and comparing it to if else to make it into a auditing script. I stored the grep into VAR1 and compare it if MINDIFF=3 but it doesnt work. Can anyone help me with it? !#/bin/bash ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jareddd
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash - CLI - grep - Passing result to grep through pipe

Hello. I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name are exactly 2 characters long and not more than 2 characters and begin with "nv" lsmod | (e)grep '^nv???????????? I want to get all modules which are loaded and which name begin with "nv" and are 2 to 7 characters long ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sftp using batchfile - storing result local

I'm making an sftp-connection to a remote server. I want the result of an ls-command in a local file and the result of ls on another folder in another local file. Because everything has to go as fast a possible I wan't to do everyting in one connection. The command I use is : psftp -v -batch -b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistach
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep result from dd command

Hi, I am running following command in a bash script for testing IO and use grep to get throughput number, but it did not work, it displayed everything: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync | grep bytes | awk '{print $7}' 1+0 records in 1+0 records out 536870912 bytes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with the shell script after storing the directory in a variable

FTP is connecting to the server but i am getting an error - Enter if the env is dev or test or prod: test Please enter the id no : xxxxxxx Connected to xxxx 220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2) 331 Please specify the password. 230 Login successful. ?Invalid command ?Invalid command ?Invalid command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandraprakash
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)